Euro Rods

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
For all the euro nymphers out there, what is a quality euro rod that doesn't break the bank? As a 15 year old that doesn't make much money, I need something that is cheapish but I don't want a bad rod. If you have any leads or even if someone on this site is willing to sell their rod for a good price let me know. Looking for a 3wt either 10 or 11 feet. Thanks

Divad

Whitefish
For all the euro nymphers out there, what is a quality euro rod that doesn't break the bank? As a 15 year old that doesn't make much money, I need something that is cheapish but I don't want a bad rod. If you have any leads or even if someone on this site is willing to sell their rod for a good price let me know. Looking for a 3wt either 10 or 11 feet. Thanks
I have the echo carbon xl, cabelas czn and have fished the Loomis euro. At $200 or sometimes on sale for $175 the Carbon XL is the best bet. Cabelas sometimes has theirs on sale and I got it for $99, which is still not the best bet.

If you start shooting line with your euro rod you’ll want a company that has easy tip servicing for cheap. Echo does, Cabelas does not unless it breaks within first year.

Look for used, in trout river prone areas and see if they’ll ship.

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I have the echo carbon xl, cabelas czn and have fished the Loomis euro. At $200 or sometimes on sale for $175 the Carbon XL is the best bet. Cabelas sometimes has theirs on sale and I got it for $99, which is still not the best bet.

If you start shooting line with your euro rod you’ll want a company that has easy tip servicing for cheap. Echo does, Cabelas does not unless it breaks within first year.

Look for used, in trout river prone areas and see if they’ll ship.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
+1 with the base reel. I have the cortland dt braid core on this. Another spool holds a wf4 floater for this rod.
20220529_204221.jpg

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
The Greys FIN combo is the best budget option around, at the moment, IMO.

I think the next step up would be an Echo Carbon XL, with a Greys Tail 3/4. A Vision Nymph Hero or Cortland Nymph Series, paired with a Danielsson DryFly or Vision Hero Nymph & Dry, would be a further step up.

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
This is how you start your passion for fly fishing. Next your going to need a bigger weight rod for salmon. The list just goes on from there. Plus you will need reels for all of your new rods along with a few extra spools. I have 7 or 8 rods and I just us 2 of them. The rest of them never get to see the light of day. But I only fish in the Summer time. At my age going fishing....................Well I get picky on where and when.

Some people have upwards of 30 fly rods. Me, I can use all my rods and reels, but I have found out I only need two. It depends how you set your few rods up that they will cover all the species that you fish for.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I have the 9ft Carbon XL and while I dont euro nymph, I'd like to confirm that it's a sweet stick for lots of applications which may be beneficial to your wallet. I use mine for everything from single hand skagit to indicators for bluegill.

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If I were you, I'd get a euro leader and tool around with it on your normal rod first to see if you like euro-nymphing. a 15 dollar leader is cheaper than a new rod and you might just discover that euro-nymphing is actually not very fun . A trout spey however.....

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I were you, I'd get a euro leader and tool around with it on your normal rod first to see if you like euro-nymphing. a 15 dollar leader is cheaper than a new rod and you might just discover that euro-nymphing is actually not very fun . A trout spey however.....
I don’t think that’s a good way to assess euro nymphing. You can put racing slicks on a pickup, but it doesn’t give you a sense of whether you’ll like driving a sport coupe.

Cortland, Maxcatch, and the above mentioned companies make rods better suited for trying out euro nymphing than sticking a long euro leader on a standard trout rod and (especially Maxcatch) you won’t break the bank doing so.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I don’t think that’s a good way to assess euro nymphing. You can put racing slicks on a pickup, but it doesn’t give you a sense of whether you’ll like driving a sport coupe.

Cortland, Maxcatch, and the above mentioned companies make rods better suited for trying out euro nymphing than sticking a long euro leader on a standard trout rod and (especially Maxcatch) you won’t break the bank doing so.
I started by playing with a sighter built into a leader about 14-16' long and some appropriate flies fished with different 9' rods (4 (best) and 6wts) and regular floating lines. After getting a feel for it I bought the Echo setup, I had got to the point where I realized what proper equipment would do for me.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I echo Jake's thoughts. The euro game really requires the right gear or you won't have a positive experience.

Be prepared for some frustration, at the beginning. You need to stick with it for at least a season. It is easily the single best technique I have learned, since I started some 20 years ago.

I suggest buying all the Lance Egan and Devin Olsen videos. They are basically mandatory. If you need to buy a cheaper rod in order to buy the videos, do it. The videos will make a much bigger difference. I fell asleep the first time I tried to watch them, because it was too much to absorb and I didn't really get it. However, I kept coming back to them as I progressed. I've watched each one probably half a dozen times now. There are a lot of details that you will not notice or appreciate at first.

Last edited:

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You can definitely fish a euro rig on a conventional rod. troutbitten.com was basically built on that. A butt of 20lb chameleon would work on a 4 or 5 weight rod. Is it optimal? No, but you can catch some fish and learn. Maybe like driving off pavement on a stock subaru vs a lifted jeep.

That being said, the Carbon XL euro nymph is under 200 bucks, you might be able to find one used on wff or theflyfishingforum.com Maybe post you are looking for a used one.