ER Conservation combined with netting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure all have absorbed the ER closures for tributaries, and most can agree to that until it rains. In Gray Harbor they left the estuary open up to above the Satsop for continued sports and netting. Not a lot a sense there. WDFW already allowed a couple weeks of 4 continuous days of netting (NT followed the QIN a week, then QIN went a full 4). Now the kicker, WDFW has allowed a 5 consecutive day netathon. This is a violation of hard fought for WDFW POLICY signed and implemented in 2014 to allow fish a chance to make it to the tributaries. The tributaries that are under ER closure to boot. Madness or incompetence, I will let you all decide. Feel free to ask those in charge below. The tribal netting is easy to find on the website, the usual Sun-Wed....the NT is attached.
James.Losee@dfw.wa.gov

Mike.Scharpf@dfw.wa.gov

COMMISSION@dfw.wa.gov

Director Susewind (director@dfw.wa.gov)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928-200825.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-200825.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 9
  • word-GH POLICY.pdf
    496.9 KB · Views: 4

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Wow, I thought this gain some interest. Bankies conserve, netting violate long standing policy and set for 5 days straight.

It’s madness. It all is. The more you learn about this stuff the more it will make you sick.

I can’t believe how restrictive new development is to protect the fish, yet all the fish are just a commodity to get netted. It is such a displacement of responsibility it astounds me daily. All the protections for the fish just create more opportunity/profit for the commercial fisheries.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Wow, I thought this gain some interest.
One of the arguments people make for not closing rivers is that when rivers close or resources are turned off to the public, the folks who were fighting for that resource lose interest. Not saying that's what happened here (I didn't see your post originally to be honest), but I do think there's some bit of truth there that when rivers close people lose interest - to what degree interest is lost I don't know, but I think it's more than zero.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
One of the arguments people make for not closing rivers is that when rivers close or resources are turned off to the public, the folks who were fighting for that resource lose interest. Not saying that's what happened here (I didn't see your post originally to be honest), but I do think there's some bit of truth there that when rivers close people lose interest - to what degree interest is lost I don't know, but I think it's more than zero.
I have lost interest, this is also Washington and I'm in Oregon, we have our own problems. Also seeing the status quo never change makes people not care. 'Oh, wdfw screwed us again, welcome to the new normal"

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sure all have absorbed the ER closures for tributaries, and most can agree to that until it rains. In Gray Harbor they left the estuary open up to above the Satsop for continued sports and netting. Not a lot a sense there. WDFW already allowed a couple weeks of 4 continuous days of netting (NT followed the QIN a week, then QIN went a full 4). Now the kicker, WDFW has allowed a 5 consecutive day netathon. This is a violation of hard fought for WDFW POLICY signed and implemented in 2014 to allow fish a chance to make it to the tributaries. The tributaries that are under ER closure to boot. Madness or incompetence, I will let you all decide. Feel free to ask those in charge below. The tribal netting is easy to find on the website, the usual Sun-Wed....the NT is attached.
James.Losee@dfw.wa.gov

Mike.Scharpf@dfw.wa.gov

COMMISSION@dfw.wa.gov

Director Susewind (director@dfw.wa.gov)

I have zero confidence in the WDFW to do anything that makes sense or resembles competence and action in line with stated conservation lip service. They no longer serve the sports people of this state unless you are a big dollar big boat kind of folk. They are a giant "fuck you" in the face of any ethical sports angler who believes in conservation and fair chase. They are the department of everything wrong in this state. Not only do they not give a shit, they don't even pretend anymore. This is the department of virtue signalling two faced half assed conservation words coupled with actions that display their beholden nature to commercial and tribal interests. This isn't your agency, it's theirs. What can anyone do? They don't react to anything unless it comes from those they truly serve. All this in a state that prides itself on environmental leadership and policy. Fake ass shit only to be believed by uninformed twits.

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Not to mention the people who already don't care still won't but will be stoked you the law abiding person (hopefully you) won't be out there so they can have the water to themselves and have epic days slaying not worrying at all about being checked because well who's really going to check.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I have zero confidence in the WDFW to do anything that makes sense or resembles competence and action in line with stated conservation lip service. They no longer serve the sports people of this state unless you are a big dollar big boat kind of folk. They are a giant "fuck you" in the face of any ethical sports angler who believes in conservation and fair chase. They are the department of everything wrong in this state. Not only do they not give a shit, they don't even pretend anymore. This is the department of virtue signalling two faced half assed conservation words coupled with actions that display their beholden nature to commercial and tribal interests. This isn't your agency, it's theirs. What can anyone do? They don't react to anything unless it comes from those they truly serve. All this in a state that prides itself on environmental leadership and policy. Fake ass shit only to be believed by uninformed twits.
tenor.gif

Shad

Life of the Party
Word!

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Non-tribal netting definitely shouldn't be allowed in an area that sport fishing is under emergency closure. There's nothing WDFW can do about tribal. It would probably be best to voice frustration in a more public way than just emailing a few people. It's also generally better to avoid the name calling and politically charged comments if you actually want anything to get done.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Non-tribal netting definitely shouldn't be allowed in an area that sport fishing is under emergency closure. There's nothing WDFW can do about tribal. It would probably be best to voice frustration in a more public way than just emailing a few people. It's also generally better to avoid the name calling and politically charged comments if you actually want anything to get done.

You are proposing the exact tactic that has been used for decades with WDFW. They let you speak politely into their microphone and pretend they care. It doesn’t work.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

No politics in my position. Just right and wrong. And I do feel tribal treaty rights need to be honoured. It was a bad deal with unintended consequence however a deal is a deal. I've made bad deals before and lost my ass. I honoured them.

Shad

Life of the Party
Sadly, the outcome of this closure, regardless of intent (which I'm pretty sure was to benefit the same handful of assholes stuff like this always does), the bulk of the recreational, upriver coho harvest and chinook impacts have effectively been traded for a few more days of gillnetting in the lower river. The reason sporties are still fishing down there is to justify more gillnetting. That is the cold, hard truth of what happened here.

All Grays Harbor (non-tribal) fisheries are limited by impacts on endangered, wild Chinook, be that by-catch by gillnetters or catch and release mortalities from sport encounters. Each of the tributaries WDFW closed was allocated some number of the total impacts for the basin. By closing a those tributaries, they "created" additional Chinook impacts for lower river fisheries (most notably additional non-tribal gillnet openers).

Furthermore, the additional gillnet openings are in direct violation of a (toothless) policy that requires WDFW to plan for at least three days per week without gillnets in the lower river "whenever possible." Apparently, we just learned that when there are good numbers of salmon trapped in the lower river, it's "not possible" to meet that mandate.

These people managing whatever's left of our state's most iconic natural resource are a despicable lot of liars and thieves, and they seem just fine with that reputation, because they keep stealing recreational fishing opportunities and lying to us about it. And why should they change? We're so stupid that we keep buying their conditional fishing licenses, hoping maybe this will be the year we get to fish for (fill in the blank), only to be denied still more of the opportunity we paid for. I say it every year, and maybe some day I'll make good, but I'm not sure a WDFW license will make the 2023 budget. A couple days on put and take lakes is about the full extent of WDFW-managed fisheries I participate in anymore, and I'm not sure that's worth the cost of admission to the shitshow it's become.

Me, at the next F&W Commission meeting:
giphy.gif

Shad

Life of the Party
No politics in my position. Just right and wrong. And I do feel tribal treaty rights need to be honoured. It was a bad deal with unintended consequence however a deal is a deal. I've made bad deals before and lost my ass. I honoured them.
This is right on. The QIN didn't change any of their plans or violate any rules. Only WDFW played a hand in this particular screwing.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party

hot-dogs-wink.gif

Always glad to be in the Chromers Crowd....Preach on

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You are proposing the exact tactic that has been used for decades with WDFW. They let you speak politely into their microphone and pretend they care. It doesn’t work.
I'm not saying to even talk to WDFW. I said to be more public than just sending emails. Emails have been tried, and have failed for these kinds of things. I have been successful in getting WDFW to make changes on my local fisheries by having a respectful conversation - though salmon and steelhead were not involved in those discussions, so it was a lot easier.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm not saying to even talk to WDFW. I said to be more public than just sending emails. Emails have been tried, and have failed for these kinds of things. I have been successful in getting WDFW to make changes on my local fisheries by having a respectful conversation - though salmon and steelhead were not involved in those discussions, so it was a lot easier.

I don't respect the WDFW at all. I have massive contempt for them but my respect bucket is empty. I used to have something in that bucket but I dumped it into the contempt bucket.

You don't think anyone out here or myself have tried to have conversations that generate change in this area? Are we all just not as capable or intelligent out here? People were met with contempt and flat adversarial tactics just trying to file a request for public information on practices and policies out here specifically on the chehalis. WDFW didn't even behave legally when responding to these requests so what makes you think they are into having this mythical unifying effective conversation? People in the department dismissed these requests as some dumb ploy by idiots to discredit the department and simply wouldn't cooperate. Which to me is hilarious as the department does an excellent job of discrediting itself all on it's own. Transparency and effective conversations are not in the interest of the department nor is solving any problems. They want to count stuff, look busy, make some graphs and sound all science like then go forth with shit decisions that placate those who really steer the WDFW ship of fools.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I don't respect the WDFW at all. I have massive contempt for them but my respect bucket is empty. I used to have something in that bucket but I dumped it into the contempt bucket.

You don't think anyone out here or myself have tried to have conversations that generate change in this area? Are we all just not as capable or intelligent out here? People were met with contempt and flat adversarial tactics just trying to file a request for public information on practices and policies out here specifically on the chehalis. WDFW didn't even behave legally when responding to these requests so what makes you think they are into having this mythical unifying effective conversation? People in the department dismissed these requests as some dumb ploy by idiots to discredit the department and simply wouldn't cooperate. Which to me is hilarious as the department does an excellent job of discrediting itself all on it's own. Transparency and effective conversations are not in the interest of the department nor is solving any problems. They want to count stuff, look busy, make some graphs and sound all science like then go forth with shit decisions that placate those who really steer the WDFW ship of fools.
You're making a lot of assumptions about what I think rather than listening to what I'm saying.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
You're making a lot of assumptions about what I think rather than listening to what I'm saying.

Maybe you should try being more polite? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.