Entomology Books

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m looking for books on aquatic entomology and hope that some of you can recommend a few.
If there’s a thread that covers this already please let me know.
I’ve got both of David Hughes’ books on hatches and they’re great, but I’d like something more comprehensive and similarly focused on Western states.
It doesn’t need to be written from the perspective of or for a fly fisher specifically. I just want a resource to help me understand and identify the insects around me.
I’d like lots of high quality photos.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

This is a top notch one centered on the Northwest but applicable everywhere.

Have fun.

Bob

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
This is a good one, will get you to genus on all known groups in the United States. An Introduction to the Aquatic Insects America of North America by Merrit, Cummins, And Berg. Has some color plates, but is much better on the line drawings. Best bought second hand, the price is a lot better.
Amazon product ASIN 0787232416

Last edited:

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks to both of you for the recommendations. I ordered both and am looking forward to fall/winter reading.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This title has always come highly recommended.IMG_0811.jpegIMG_0812.jpeg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thomas Ames, who wrote Fishbugs above, has an excellent Eastern Streamside Guide. It has pictures of bugs in various stages on one side and matching flies on the facing page. Some good basic natural history, too. He took all the photos himself, mostly along the White River in Vermont.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

This is a top notch one centered on the Northwest but applicable everywhere.

Have fun.

Bob
Ditto!

Arlen is a fishing buddy and his passion for bugs and photography is amazing. I have his Bugwater lady bug photo hanging in my kitchen.

Reactions: Zak