Enchantments Loop

Thought I would sneak this in as the weather was so amazing. I staged up at Lake Wenatchee the night before and even that was rare glass. This has to be the best weekend of the year for this loop. The colors are magical. Despite all the traffic - not a single other person with a rod; at least that I saw. No snow, no ice; really just perfect. This place is obviously far from unknown and brings a lot of visitors. Still very very worthwhile. Photos speak for themselves.

Aasgard  - Colchuck Lake.jpgHigh Basin.jpgInspiration Lake.jpgLake Regenlief.jpgLake Vivian.jpgNice Vantage.jpgPerfection Lake 2.jpgPerfection Lake.jpgPrusick Pass.jpgShield Lake 2.jpgShield Lake.jpgTarn with Dragontail.jpgTop of the World.jpgTrout 1.jpgTrout 2.jpg

Attachments

• Goats.jpg
    Goats.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Lake Wenatchee Glass.jpg
    Lake Wenatchee Glass.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 28

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
If anyone is thinking of this loop the distance was 23 miles, 7k up and 9k down with the side trips I took off the main trail. Honestly though - it is really easy access and not as bad as that sounds. The down does put a beating on your knees. There are some other side trips I would like to take, but daylight is obviously limited this time of year. I was out for an even 12 hours. Could have snuck in one other side trip probably and still came down in daylight.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If anyone is thinking of this loop the distance was 23 miles, 7k up and 9k down with the side trips I took off the main trail. Honestly though - it is really easy access and not as bad as that sounds. The down does put a beating on your knees. There are some other side trips I would like to take, but daylight is obviously limited this time of year. I was out for an even 12 hours. Could have snuck in one other side trip probably and still came down in daylight.
3.2 miles short of a marathon, beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Walk fast. Run some. :) Actually got some good fishing in. Would have liked more - but I'll take what I got. You would have some great opportunities up there if you actually got a camping permit. I'll be dead before I get another one. It's about a 1% chance now.

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My buddy, wife, and I had 27 submissions before we were finally drawn. That was before COVID. Could only imagine how nuts it would be to get drawn now. Beautiful photos.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Never hiked into the Enchantments. Would love to, but that "permit" thing. So you're one of the many who have taken to doing it as a day hike, huh? Wish I had that kind of speed. I checked this spring, and I'm now 1/2 to 3/4 mph slower than I used to hike, dammit!

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
I am convinced the day hiking will be regulated too... There really are too many people doing this loop (many really unaware of what they are getting into). I staged up at 430am and there were probably 150 people getting going at that time! I think part of that was the weather, the larches, Oktoberfest, etc... I passed about 50 on the way to Aasgard in the dark. It never felt crowded for me as after I hit the core I did a lot of backcountry areas. I can't imagine what it was like if you started at 7am. I passed another couple hundred heading down past Snow Lakes back to the trailhead. If you time this thing wrong you will be in a congo line. I enjoyed it and will probably do it again; but not on the weekend.

RCF

Life of the Party
Dayum! That many people doing day hikes is having a tremendous amount of environmental impact. Such a shame! If they stopped day hikes today it would take decades to recover, if ever.

I went up there numerous times in the 70's. Even then there concerns of environmental impact.