NFR Electric Truck

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Can't wait to take this thing out on the local "no internal combustion motors allowed" lake and just absolutely tear shit up.

Ok, what's the range on a 4 stroke 50 HP? This thing is a Nissan Leaf in comparison.

Still, they aren't the first to make an electric outboard. @ $16,500 for the package, that's comparable to a larger gas burner...

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Why does it have to be strictly electric and batteries, more and bigger and more! Its been touched on a few times already. Where are we going to get all the rare earth's and raw materials? Y'all constantly bitch about conservation, yet I swear I read a few pages back we should strip mine central Oregon for lithium, because electric cars are the sacred golden goose, might as well go ahead and peel the "no pebble mine" stickers off the rod vaults.
Electric vehicles will be virtue toys unless they get to 500+ mile range with load, and recharging takes 10 min tops with significant infrastructure to accommodate lines at the 'pump.' And again wheres the electricity coming from? Solar and wind? With their own faults regarding lifespan, rare earths, etc. How do we store it during low production times. Coal or Nat gas plants and we just look the other way and feel good about our earth saving vehicle? Carbon dioxide is not bad, its a byproduct of nature, we breath it out, trees take it in.. blah blah. Its not an evil pollutant. Becoming more efficient and environmentally friendly is great and a worthy goal but it seems like we got tunnel vision here, it has to be this way, there has to be zero carbon.

There is another way. What if you got 100mpg in your truck? No complete infrastructure overhaul, no dependency on elecric grids. Trains have been using this tech for years. A turbine generator charging electric batteries powering and electric motor. Scaled down to non commercial level. Instant acceleration and torque, programed to charge while stopped or coasting or cruising at highway speed with the help of an alternator and generator. Generators could be configured to run on nat gas, gas, diesel, biodiesel, alcohol, whatever we can dream up in the future.
There is another way. The thought I'm fascinated by recently are mixed hydro/solar/wind systems. Using a relatively contained system, water is poured from an uphill resevoir into a downhill reservoir, with a turbine generating consumable electricity off this fall. Then wind/solar generators are used to pump this water back uphill into the reservoir, allowing it to be used again for consumable electricity.

This is already in place in some places, and I believe represents the best "battery" for mass energy storage that we can currently produce.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I would need a range of at least 1550 miles with a full camping and fishing load over mountain ranges.
My Umpqua trip would look like this.
drive 800 miles and charge overnight
drive 500 miles to camp
drive 250 miles up and down the river fishing
drive 800 miles and charge over night
drive 500 miles to home.

a truck with a shorter range? completely worthless to me.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Ok, what's the range on a 4 stroke 50 HP? This thing is a Nissan Leaf in comparison.

Still, they aren't the first to make an electric outboard. @ $16,500 for the package, that's comparable to a larger gas burner...
pretty cool but they are talking about fishing a full day bass tournament and only running 23 miles. Awesome step forward but not quite there yet.. 23 miles isn't really that far in a bass tournament. also they need a 250 HP :)

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
There is another way. The thought I'm fascinated by recently are mixed hydro/solar/wind systems. Using a relatively contained system, water is poured from an uphill resevoir into a downhill reservoir, with a turbine generating consumable electricity off this fall. Then wind/solar generators are used to pump this water back uphill into the reservoir, allowing it to be used again for consumable electricity.

This is already in place in some places, and I believe represents the best "battery" for mass energy storage that we can currently produce.
Won't that confuse the fish?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is a real kicker, I hope Ukraine wasn't #1 or #2.

"Trading in nickel was suspended Tuesday on the London Metal Exchange after prices doubled to an unprecedented $100,000 per metric ton.

Nickel is used mostly to produce stainless steel and some alloys, but increasingly it is used in batteries, particularly electric vehicle batteries.

Russia is the world’s third-biggest nickel producer. And the Russian mining company Nornickel is a major supplier of the high-grade nickel that is used in electric vehicles."

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The problem is that hardly anybody looks at the total picture. Can't use fossil fuels as they pollute and won't last forever. Gotta go electric vehicles and wind and solar. But the materials for those energy forms are finite as well. N

Then there is nuclear but OMG that's really bad stuff. Can't have nuke plants all over the place. Never mind that nuclear is the cleanest energy form cradle to grave that also has a huge material supply.

What we need to have to be successful is a SMART use of all energy forms and not the OMG the sky if falling approach of the green left.

Chris Bailey

Dirt Sniffer
Forum Supporter
Why does it have to be strictly electric and batteries, more and bigger and more! Its been touched on a few times already. Where are we going to get all the rare earth's and raw materials? Y'all constantly bitch about conservation, yet I swear I read a few pages back we should strip mine central Oregon for lithium, because electric cars are the sacred golden goose, might as well go ahead and peel the "no pebble mine" stickers off the rod vaults.
Electric vehicles will be virtue toys unless they get to 500+ mile range with load, and recharging takes 10 min tops with significant infrastructure to accommodate lines at the 'pump.' And again wheres the electricity coming from? Solar and wind? With their own faults regarding lifespan, rare earths, etc. How do we store it during low production times. Coal or Nat gas plants and we just look the other way and feel good about our earth saving vehicle? Carbon dioxide is not bad, its a byproduct of nature, we breath it out, trees take it in.. blah blah. Its not an evil pollutant. Becoming more efficient and environmentally friendly is great and a worthy goal but it seems like we got tunnel vision here, it has to be this way, there has to be zero carbon.

There is another way. What if you got 100mpg in your truck? No complete infrastructure overhaul, no dependency on elecric grids. Trains have been using this tech for years. A turbine generator charging electric batteries powering and electric motor. Scaled down to non commercial level. Instant acceleration and torque, programed to charge while stopped or coasting or cruising at highway speed with the help of an alternator and generator. Generators could be configured to run on nat gas, gas, diesel, biodiesel, alcohol, whatever we can dream up in the future.
A couple things. First, there are a lot of natural materials that become pollutants once we start mucking with them or creating more; crude oil, uranium, lead, CO2, etc. Even heat itself is a pollutant in some contexts, but you wouldn't want to live without it at natural levels. Just because something is naturally occurring doesn't mean that we, as humans, can't turn it into something that kills us. The recent study regarding leaded gas and IQ was interesting.

Second, anyone who spends any time outside Mayberry should realize that EVs are fully integrated and definitely not "toys". Sure, they aren't going to work for everyone, but a lot of people, like my family, have been able to make them work without much trouble. I just visited southern California for the first time in a long time and was amazed at the number of EVs on the highways for a sprawling urban area that still generally refuses to adopt public transportation and driving everywhere is normal. In my mind, the "toys" in this discussion are these mythical trucks with an 8-foot bed, towing 7,500 pounds with a range of 600 miles described in earlier posts. Recent gas prices, with ours still being much lower than in other places, should be a clue that these vehicles will become a rarity and a luxury and essentially "toys" when not used for commercial purposes. Don't get me started on the gas guzzler tax exclusions that need a complete overhaul.

I'm with you on the bigger isn't necessarily better issue. Just look at the upcoming Hummer EV, with basically four Tesla model 3 batteries just to get a decent range. GM seems to want that name to continue to be associated with excess and inefficiency.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Look for ev’s and especially that strange Tron-like cyber truck to shoot up in price. I watched a recent story about the cybertruck with Elon mentioning the bare bones price on the thing. When looking it up to get a better look at it google had pages of trading and stock info but very little to look at. That suggests to me that the idea alone is cool but I really would wanna buy one. One of the top nickel sources in the world is in Russia. Just read about that. So we have a price at the pump jump… we apparently rely on what? 7% of our petroleum from Russia and barrel prices shoot up as much as they did? Traders with heart problems are dropping like flies. What a mess.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
This is a real kicker, I hope Ukraine wasn't #1 or #2.

"Trading in nickel was suspended Tuesday on the London Metal Exchange after prices doubled to an unprecedented $100,000 per metric ton.

Nickel is used mostly to produce stainless steel and some alloys, but increasingly it is used in batteries, particularly electric vehicle batteries.

Russia is the world’s third-biggest nickel producer. And the Russian mining company Nornickel is a major supplier of the high-grade nickel that is used in electric vehicles."
I thought Canada was #1 in nickel. ?

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Back to electric cars. Does anyone have experience with the electric version of the Smart car ? I've seen 2 in the last 8 years but they're as rare as a Republican in Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.