Electric motors

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I recently got a 12’ journey and I’m wondering about getting an electric motor. I’ve seen 55lb is a good start. Would love to hear others thoughts on what would be best re shaft length and experiences in general. For example minkota are the most popular it seems but there’s other brands that are way more affordable.

What’s best? Thoughts and opinions/experience sought.

Dave

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I recently got a 12’ journey and I’m wondering about getting an electric motor. I’ve seen 55lb is a good start. Would love to hear others thoughts on what would be best re shaft length and experiences in general. For example minkota are the most popular it seems but there’s other brands that are way more affordable.

Dave
Depends on the boat, and your needs. My 18’ canoe needed something with a long shaft length due to high sides, and 40lbs is plenty of power.

My 17’ Lund side console uses the 55lb happily, and only needed a 20” shaft length for the stern trolling motor. Bow it needed 36”.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Life of the Party

Dave
I use an 80's vintage 24lb thrust Minn Kota on my light 12 foot aluminim boat. It has four forward speeds and moves the boat along quite well. In fact, I wish the lowest speed would actually be slower for calm water trolling. If you go with a 55lb motor make sure it has a variable speed (PCM) controller or that the lowest speed is slow enough for you. 55lbs may be a lot of motor for your boat.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
If your fishing consists of running spot to spot, and do not require slow trolling speeds, the Newport Vessels are vg pricepoint motors. If planning on trolling, variable speed PCM is a must.
For reference, my Sportcat is 13' x 6' x 210#, currently pushed by a 50# Minn Kota Endura Max (has PCM), juiced by two 35ah AGM wheelchair batteries, weighing 22# each, run parallel to provide 70AH on tap.
With this set-up I can run several miles spot to spot at a max hull speed of 2.9 mph, running the batteries down to about 60% capacity, requiring 5 charging hours MOL to juice them back to 100%.
All in with the 50# MK, dual batteries, and #6 guage wiring (I use tinned auto jumper cables), quick connect wirring plugs (cleaner), and dual battery case, all in for around $450...less if you look for sales on everything.

Stimson

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I have a12' smokercraft. Very high sided boat,super stable. I run a 55lb minn kota with a 36" shaft. It leaves about a foot of shaft above the transom without cavitation. Easy to stand and run that way. I can do better than 4mph in river current. I run a single 34 class 12 volt battery, which lasts all day. I've also used a 55lb on my 20' alumaweld sled, to run silent when fishing spinners for coho. Very effective.

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Not to bump an older thread, but just to keep the question with the electric motor post. I have been looking for a 12v Minn Kota 55 for my 15' high side clackacraft to do some lake fishing/trolling. I was wondering what shaft length people have been running on their similar drift boats? Could I get away with a 36" or should I get a 42"

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hello.

@Irish11, Im pondering the same set up as you. A Good friend of mine who guides locally, on Lakes, in a Driftboat, recommends the 42 inch shaft length for driftboats and the 55lb Minn Kota Endura Max for the motor size.

@SurfnFish are your wheelchair batteries 6 volt? Are they the same as golf cart batteries? Would you recommend your batteries? If so, can you advise of their brand name and model? Im thinking Id be using the motor, on my 16 foot Fish Rite Driftboat. Id like to use the setup to fish East Lake or Crane Prarie. In your opinion, does that sound reasonable? Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Bob

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Irish11,

Hello.

Im thinking of the same set up as what you are considering. Good friend of mine who guides locally, on Lakes, in a Driftboat, recommends the 42 inch shaft length for driftboats and the 55lb Minn Kota Endura Max.

@SurfnFish are your wheelchair batteries 6 volt? Are they the same as golf cart batteries? Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Bob
I use 12 V Mighty Max 35A AGM batteries. Run parrallel they provide several miles of range with plenty of reserve, usually around 60% to 70% when put on the charger end of day. Whereas depleting the batteries below 60% tends to short their use life, at $70 a pop not too concerned
#6 wire, snap connectors on both the motor and battery sides...end of day, just unsnap the motor side, snap on the charger side...IMG_20230430_101602468_HDR (1).jpgIMG_20221003_130321455.jpg

On both my Clack driftboats ( a High Side and a 'dimple bottom'), I ran a 55# transom Riptide and used a single 100A AGM.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@SurfnFish,

Wow that was quick. Thank you.

If I understand correctly, you are saying one 12 volt AGM 100ah battery should be fine for my Driftboat? Is that correct? It would be nice to only have to use 1 battery. Space is at a premium as my Driftboat isnt a wide bottom.

Any chance I could see your battery mount set up for your driftboat, including maybe a close up of your wiring setup? No worries if its a pain. I think I can visualize the set up but I am mechanically challenged. I mostly am wondering if you use a quick connect setup in some way and a battery box.

Thanks again.

Bob

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
@SurfnFish,

Wow that was quick. Thank you.

If I understand correctly, you are saying one 12 volt AGM 100ah battery should be fine for my Driftboat? Is that correct? It would be nice to only have to use 1 battery. Space is at a premium as my Driftboat isnt a wide bottom.

Any chance I could see your battery mount set up for your driftboat, including maybe a close up of your wiring setup? No worries if its a pain. I think I can visualize the set up but I am mechanically challenged. I mostly am wondering if you use a quick connect setup in some way and a battery box.

Thanks again.

Bob
no longer own those Clacks, have no pics of the wiring.
Mounted the battery/box up front just behind the bow seat, terminal wires exiting the box into a snap connector, primary wire run underneath lightweight horse stall mats used to protect the floor from cleats. If you look at the first pic I posted, you can see the snap connector to the side of the box in my Sportcat.
If it was an upriver rowing day would unsnap the leads and store the battery
Wiring terminated in the stern just as my Sportcat does.
Snap connectors are easy to use, just need a decent high heat iron to be able to solder the wires and lugs together, plenty of how to's on Youtube.
IMG_20230609_211044085_HDR.jpg
Amazon product ASIN B074J5DS33

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You will pay substantially more over the 55lb thrust rating. I like the minn Kota 55 in the long shaft so I can stand and fish while operating it. And the one without the detents in the throttle is a must. It's smoother and your can dial a custom speed for when you slum it and troll a bit on a new lake to locate fish.

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
no longer own those Clacks, have no pics of the wiring.
Mounted the battery/box up front just behind the bow seat, terminal wires exiting the box into a snap connector, primary wire run underneath lightweight horse stall mats used to protect the floor from cleats. If you look at the first pic I posted, you can see the snap connector to the side of the box in my Sportcat.
If it was an upriver rowing day would unsnap the leads and store the battery
Wiring terminated in the stern just as my Sportcat does.
Snap connectors are easy to use, just need a decent high heat iron to be able to solder the wires and lugs together, plenty of how to's on Youtube.
View attachment 94420
Amazon product ASIN B074J5DS33

The electrical connectors above are called Anderson Power Poles (very common in Ham radio and other electronics uses) in case anyone is looking for a set. They are very handy for a quick and solid connection, also weatherproof so that helps in outdoors use.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Dustin Chromers,

Do you know the model of the Minn Kota Endura Max 55 lb thrust motor, that doesnt have the detents? Is it the one with their " Digital Maximizer"? Or is that the model you think needs to be avoided.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
yep, go Digital Maximizer...provides less amp drain and precise prop rpm.
the MK outlet store a good plce to start. And if running extended battery to motor wiring, custom cable a good source.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@Dustin Chromers,

Do you know the model of the Minn Kota Endura Max 55 lb thrust motor, that doesnt have the detents? Is it the one with their " Digital Maximizer"? Or is that the model you think needs to be avoided.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
I can look at mine here later today but I am nearly certain the one with the digital maximiser is the one you want. It's been a fantastic motor as far as trouble free and battery life.

One thing folks should consider is that thrust isn't free. You pay to purchase it and you pay in run time provided you are using it at higher capacity. This may equate to a second or third battery depending on your meds and application. Speaking of application I highly suggest again to consider it your are a standing while fishing guy or sitting. Short shafts are for sitting and long shafts are for standing and can do sitting duty provided the water is deep. I almost always opt for the long shaft. Drift boat use there is no other option imho.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
55 pounds thrust is not needed but with a maximizer it's doable.
Plus when you determine the 12' boat is too small you can use it on your new bigger boat.
You would get by just fine with a 35-40 pound thrust motor and get more hours run time on a charge.
I ran a 35 lb minn kota on my 16' sled for years for bass fishing.
Make sure to get one with a digital maximizer for sure though.