Echo Lift Opinions

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I'm buying an inexpensive rod for my birthday next month. I've narrowed it down to three. #1 is a 6# 9ft Fenwick Fiberglass classic, if I can find one. Lost one on a last second e-bay bid..damn. Other choice would be a Redington Classic Trout. Read lots of glowing opinions on this site....I am also looking at the Echo Lift. I've liked the Echos I had in the past...have any of you used this rod.? What do you think.?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't recall Fenwick making a fiberglass 6 wt. And if they did, my guess is that it would be some form of noodle-club. Not impossible, but not all of the fiberglass ferrullite rods were gems of casting pleasure like the 7 1/2' and 8' 6 wts. There was a 6-piece 8 1/2' 6 wt pack rod, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 7 1/2' that I have.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I've really been surprised at the variety of Fenwick sizes that are available on E-bay. 6ft thru 9ft lengths, 3# thru 11#. There's a couple of 7# 9ft available but I'm loaded with 6# lines and wish to stay there. I'm using a 6# 8ft now and but would like a 9 footer...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Well I was part of the echo crew when that rod first came out. We had a fly shop give us a very good summary:

"it's irresponsibly good."

Meaning for the price, it was harder to talk people in to the higher priced rods.

Hell, I have one I still use.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
PM sent

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If memory serves the Lift model replaced the “Base” model. I have the 590-4 Base, it’s a great rod for the price. Maybe @Evan B can fill us in on the changes from Base to Lift (tweaks or apples to oranges. Or?)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If memory serves the Lift model replaced the “Base” model. I have the 590-4 Base, it’s a great rod for the price. Maybe @Evan B can fill us in on the changes from Base to Lift (tweaks or apples to oranges. Or?)
Similar overall but the lift has less overall power, making it a lot easier to load. Both great rods, but the Lift is going to be a lot better for most casters even if they don't quite have the savvy to tell the difference. Feeling it load is a huge help for more novice and beginner anglers especially.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My guide buddy has 3 of them for clients since they're cheap and clients break rods. He has nicer rods for his personal use, but uses the Lifts all the time on his days off. He likes the way they load. As Evan mentioned, probably under priced!