Eating your own salmon raw

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love sushi, especially salmon. I chanced a small bite from a Sockeye I caught last year and it was definitely the best raw fish I ever ate. I would love to try some more, especially the rezzy's early in the season. But I am unsure if my at home freezer cools it down enough to do so. We have freezers set to -10F, and all the salmon we catch that isn't eaten fresh gets filleted, vacuum packed, and frozen as soon as it is caught. (Unless it is being smoked) Would it be safe to take a slice?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I love sushi, especially salmon. I chanced a small bite from a Sockeye I caught last year and it was definitely the best raw fish I ever ate. I would love to try some more, especially the rezzy's early in the season. But I am unsure if my at home freezer cools it down enough to do so. We have freezers set to -10F, and all the salmon we catch that isn't eaten fresh gets filleted, vacuum packed, and frozen as soon as it is caught. (Unless it is being smoked) Would it be safe to take a slice?
You should be fine once it's been frozen a couple days. If you actually get down to -10 you'll definitely be fine.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I feel like @Evan B is the guy to talk to here. He has OPINIONS on sushi.

(And to be fair, he should have opinions. He knows what he's talking about.)

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This, and never eat anything raw once it's been in freshwater. Only do it with fish straight from the salt.
Even then, I'd be leery of some kinds of saltwater fish. Not so much offshore pelagics, but I wouldn't eat any nearshore bottomfish that hadn't been frozen.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Even then, I'd be leery of some kinds of saltwater fish. Not so much offshore pelagics, but I wouldn't eat any nearshore bottomfish that hadn't been frozen.
Yeah, I don't do bottomfish at all, personally. Haven't even looked in to the protocol for using it for sushi - just no interest in it. I like my pelagics :D

My halibut and lingcod is for the grill or other cooking methods.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While we're on the topic. What are some quality shoyu brands you'd recommend ... and where to get them? Best I could find at Winco on my way to Westport last week was Tamari. A step up from Kikkoman, and no complaints on the seared albacore steaks, but I'm sure there is much better.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
While we're on the topic. What are some quality shoyu brands you'd recommend ... and where to get them? Best I could find at Winco on my way to Westport last week was Tamari. A step up from Kikkoman, and no complaints on the seared albacore steaks, but I'm sure there is much better.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I've been enjoying the Kishibari shoyu somebody on here recommended. $20 for 24 oz. on the 'zon.

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

From the FDA website. I thought I had remembered that it should be longer than a day or two.

Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time),or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F(-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of-31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites. Note that these conditions may not be suitable for freezing particularly large fish (e.g., thicker than 6 inches).