East Truckee

IMG_3067.jpeg
The view from my cabin over the Truckee River…at 8:00 am, it’s 29 degrees…in an hour, it will be 40, and by 4:00, it will be 70.

We are going to head east and fish the Nevada side of the river, hopefully chucking streamers…but it’s going to be a sunny day, so…

To be continued…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Dang I fish by your cabin all the time!
Fishing has been slow, just a few small fish to the net…did lose a big one midday.

I fished below the cabin at sunset, caught a nice fish swinging a leech/soft hackle.

Hopefully a little more cloud cover today for some streamer action…I fished mostly dry/dropper and euro nymphing yesterday

We are going to head east and fish the Nevada side of the river, hopefully chucking streamers…but it’s going to be a sunny day, so…

In the late 1960's to early 1970's I lived in Reno while attending The University of Nevada. During those years I had excellent fly fishing on the Truckee River in Nevada in the evening from mid-summer through early fall particularly when there was no wind . The may fly and caddis hatches were exceptional. I had best fishing from Verdi to the California border where there were some large brown trout in the upper reaches. IMHO the other fish were wild rainbow trout.

There was a low head hydro power plant on the south side of the river above Verdi. I fished that section between the outlet and intake the most since it was easier to wade back and forth across the river and the fishing was excellent. On the north side of the river there was a wooden irrigation flume that had a wooden cover above the power house intake that I would walk on after parking along the highway. It was sometimes difficult to wade and walk along the stream bank so walking on the top of the flumes was easier. In the 6 years which I fish the river I only occasionally another person fishing. However this was before the Brad Pitt movie.

P.S. The fishing was very good at the Verdi Fish hatchery between the intake and outlet which it had great pocket water and sometime large old brood stock trout from the hatchery were released there.

Roger

Last edited: