East Lake

WindKnot

Steelhead
Just got back from an annual camping trip to East Lake. Family activities like biking, swimming, s'mores, hot springs, and trips to the resort for ice cream tended to compete with fishing opportunities, but I ventured out when I could. I've only fished this lake in August (obviously not ideal for trout), and have always found it a frustrating place to fish. Clearly lots of fish around, you see them in the clear water and feeding on the surface, but they sure are finicky with what they bite.

Dry flies were the most consistent producers for us, with the best action coming on parachute adams during callibaetis hatches. Observed a variety of caddis hatches, as well as lots of midges in the early morning and evening. Got a mix of trout, and even some small kokanee on nymphs as well. Took the kids out trolling with small spoons (near the surface) and got a few more kokanee, which seemed surprising at 11:30 am on a clear, calm day. All in all, fun fishing in a pretty setting.

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1410.jpg

chrisburke

Freshly Spawned
You did well. I fished East and Paulina hard for several days in June and then again in July. It was pretty scratchy out there. Caught a couple nice rainbows but we worked very hard for them. A friend who’s a local down there told me the fishing has been way down the past couple years, especially at Crane Prairie.

8D9D14E2-3A28-478A-B907-164A28388487.jpeg