E-generator suggestions?

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looking to buy an electric/solar generator soon for extended camp trips. Seen a few reviews online, and the Jackery is up there for a lot of people - anyone here have experience with one?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Paging @iveofione,

I have actually just ordered a Bluetti AC200P (2000 Wh) as we may be living out of our buggy for a while. It's a little heavier than I wanted (60 lbs), but the main difference with the Jackery is the lifespan, 500 cycle rating for the Jackery, >3500 for the Bluetti (LiFePO4 battery) - hummed and hawed for a while between the Jackery 2000 and the Bluetti, but that was the game changer.

Cheers

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Jackery makes good stuff at a reasonable price point. You can buy better, more expensive and more powerful stuff but Jackery ticks so many of the boxes needed that it is hard to beat. Like all electronic equipment you can chase your tail trying to acquire the latest and greatest-there will be something newer and flashier next week.

I have a Jackery 1000 for my truck that powers a 50 qt compressor refrigerator, a 640w coffeemaker, a 700w Instantpot, an electric blanket, charges USB fans, phone, computer, various LED lights and can run any equipment up to 1000 watts. I can charge it with the truck while driving or deploy a 100w solar panel when parked. The 1000 is more than adequate for my modest electrical needs but I camp alone and monitor my power consumption constantly. It has surprising endurance.

A caveat here however. If you think you can just get by with a 500-buy the 1000. You will regret under buying one of these units if you try to just sneak by on power. Same with the 1,000, if it barely covers your needs buy bigger. The 1,000 usually requires two 100w panels to charge but so far I am just using one but will buy another the minute just one panel feels inadequate.

Getting 1000w out of a 22# unit is just remarkable, the package is small and easy to carry, one of the reasons it is so popular. As Canuck mentioned the cycle rating for the Bluetti is much higher but that might be misleading without some further research. The 3500 cycle rating means that it could be charged to 100% daily for over 9 years. For someone living off grid that would be a welcome feature but for someone camping <30 days a year the 500 cycles of the Jackery would give 16 years of charging to 100% but would slowly start to diminish after that.

One other thing-the experts suggest never charging the Jackery to 100% but to around 90% instead to extend the battery life even further. There is a ton of test on YouTube of all of these units, the more you know the easier it is to make a decision.