Dying bucktail

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
I acquired 6 bucktails today. I deboned them, washed them in dawn dishwashing soap and then salted them. I would like to try dying a few of them, sculpin olive to be exact. Having never dyed a bucktail before, any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Google hasn’t really impressed me so far. I will continue to search for more information. Thanks in advance.

Scottp

Legend
I haven’t dyed much bucktail, only a few small test pieces, but I have done some calf tails and the process worked for both. Prep is the same one I use for feathers and fur but I do the dyeing in a coffee carafe (you’d need a stainless steel cooking pan for bucktails) on an electric hot plate so that I can extend the dyeing time and control the temperature. If you can get a copy of A.K. Best’s Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly-tying Materials there’s a chapter on bucktails that should help (I basically copy his methods).

I primarily use Rit All Purpose liquid dyes due to cost, availability, ease of use and color selection. You can go to their Color Formula site to get some ideas on colors; lots of shades of olive out there and it’s a pretty easy color to achieve. I don’t come anywhere near the quality of store-bought materials, especially stuff like deer hair, calf and bucktail, but it’s a lot of fun just to play around.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
What he said ^^^^^^😏

Although I haven’t done much dyeing in awhile, I’ve done a few….
IMG_6665.jpeg

The only thing I’ll add are dye choices. I’ve pretty much given up trying to find a consistent olive…but that’s prolly just me.

I’ve used RIT a bunch but for really vibrant colors, I’ll use Veniards….with the exception of their Kingfisher Blue. My limited experience is the dye does not ‘adhere’ to hairs….deer, or calf and bucktail…it will quickly wash out or fade away. As Scott P shared years ago, Kool Aid Blue Raspberry Lemonade makes a great Kingfisher Blue.

Other than that, have fun…the worm hole can be deep 🤪