Dyed Pheasant Rump Patches. Supply Chain Ripple Effect.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
After suffering a year of scarcity, dyed (especially golden/lemon yellow) pheasant rump patches are still tough to get. Folks have the same problem? All my patches are tapped out of #10 and #12 hook appropriate for Carey Specials.

I went out today to check my luck and not just no luck, I learned the reason why. Pandemic supply chain issues hit manufacturers needing down feathers (pillows, etc).

What does goose down have to do with pheasants? Domestic bird farmers were offered something like 3Xs the normal price for down feathers, so all switched to raising geese—and not pheasants. It’s the ripple effect.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I have one I could send you. It’s a natural but you could dye it yourself. I’ve got at least 4 full birds I dried out.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Remember when the hair stylists were buying up all the dyed grizzly saddle feathers? Those were dark days for us steelhead fly tyers.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Remember when the hair stylists were buying up all the dyed grizzly saddle feathers? Those were dark days for us steelhead fly tyers.
Hell, I made some money selling some😂

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have one I could send you. It’s a natural but you could dye it yourself. I’ve got at least 4 full birds I dried out.
I'd take you up except I don't know squat about dying feathers, let alone dialing in the dye color.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
I'd take you up except I don't know squat about dying feathers, let alone dialing in the dye color.
Well … if you want to take a stab at it let me know, I’ll send you some rump😎

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I had the same problem last spring, but I see they are out now.
If you have some longer feathers to use, tie your hackle in the middle of the hook, pull it all forward, wrap over, then build your body. Bring the tread carefully through the hackle (extra security too), bring the hackle upright or sweep back, build your head, and Bob's your uncle.
20230724_191208.jpg
From Dave Hughe's Wet Flies

Last edited:

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you have some longer feathers to use, tie your hackle in the middle of the hook, pull it all forward, wrap over, then build your body. Bring the tread carefully through the hackle (extra security too), bring the hackle upright or sweep back, build your head, and Bob's your uncle.
View attachment 74421
View attachment 74421
I love the idea, but my variation of the Carey Special has a bead between the body and the hackle. Also, rump feathers larger than what I’ve used up for #10 hooks have brown tips—something I find undesirable for the pattern.