Dust Buster Suggestions

kmudgn

Steelhead
My Black & Decker dustbuster is on its way out. As battery technology has greatly improved since I have had this (8-10 years?) I am curious about any recommendations that might be made for hand held battery dustbusters. Cleaning up the feathers, fur, and other detritus is vitally important as it keeps my spouse from whining at me about the mess.

Any brand is fine for me, but I dont want to spend $ 200+ on a Dyson.

Thanks

tkww

Steelhead
My Black & Decker dustbuster is on its way out. As battery technology has greatly improved since I have had this (8-10 years?) I am curious about any recommendations that might be made for hand held battery dustbusters. Cleaning up the feathers, fur, and other detritus is vitally important as it keeps my spouse from whining at me about the mess.

Any brand is fine for me, but I dont want to spend $ 200+ on a Dyson.

Thanks

Be warned, battery tech hasn't really "improved" that much, but a much better option is now much more widespread. Many battery-operated things still use Ni-Cad batteries/battery packs--radios (walkie-talkies), cordless phones, hair trimmers, etc. Ni-Cads absolutely suck. They self-discharge over time and loose capacity without w/o careful charge/discharge management. Which of course isn't how we usually use the devices powered by them. And there's plenty of those batteries still out there.

Lithium Ion (Li-ion) batteries are the way to go, IMO. They hold their charge, don't have the memory/decreased-capacity issues, better cold performance, etc. So keep that in mind when you're looking.

(I have a Makita and absolutely love it. I use 2Ah battery that came with one of my drills. But it doesn't have a base to sit on and contantly get recharged, etc. However for my situation that isn't a big deal.)

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Am kind of in the same ball park as tkww. Absolutely hate our B&D dustbuster because of crap battery. I bought this because I already have a lot of that brands cordless tools.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Committing to the Ryobi 18v battery format is one of the best things I have done. There is a tool for everything and you save a lot of money, because you aren't paying for batteries every time you buy a new tool. They have a range of different vacuums; dust busters, stick vacuums, upright vacuums, portable shop vacs, canister shop vacs, etc.

For smaller jobs, the vacuums below are really cool. I use one for my computer.

Last edited: