Dunkin' lake report

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Fished this morning with @jasmillo and @OlyFarq at a lake, let's call it... Dunkin' lake. There were already a bunch of risers and jumpers when we got there at first light (except for Olyfarq). Jasmillo got the first fish to start, pretty decent fishing followed and there were some nice fish landed and lost. They were concentrated in certain spots, rainbow tended to be in the middle and the cutts hung out in their little gangster corner.
Tried indicator but no love, all streamer fish for me.

PXL_20220320_155033451.jpg
PXL_20220320_155013083.jpg

Nice sunrise for a few minutes before the cloud rolled in.

PXL_20220320_141619795.jpg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Fitting name!

4.5 hours, 5 fish to hand, a few more missed. All in all, I’ll take it for my first stillwater excursion in 4 or 5 years.

Here are some pics….

Oh, wait. Sorry, they’re at the bottom of Dunkin’ lake with my 6 month old iPhone and a pair Costa sunglasses.

Amateur tip….even very stable fishing kayaks will flip if you lean too far to one side to release a fish :). Thanks @OlyFarq with the assist gathering my savable gear!

Fun day, even with the dip. The water was surprising not bad considering it’s March…

OlyFarq

Smolt
Fitting name!

4.5 hours, 5 fish to hand, a few more missed. All in all, I’ll take it for my first stillwater excursion in 4 or 5 years.

Here are some pics….

Oh, wait. Sorry, they’re at the bottom of Dunkin’ lake with my 6 month old iPhone and a pair Costa sunglasses.

Amateur tip….even very stable fishing kayaks will flip if you lean too far to one side to release a fish :). Thanks @OlyFarq with the assist gathering my savable gear!

Fun day, even with the dip. The water was surprising not bad considering it’s March…

Damn! I didn't know you lost your phone too!

I stuck it out for a couple hours after the dunking. The wind picked up a lot, so I would paddle across the lake with the oars, then "wind troll" back with a small green streamer. I landed two, lost another, and had a couple bumps that didn't set. Not a bad day.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Damn! I didn't know you lost your phone too!

I stuck it out for a couple hours after the dunking. The wind picked up a lot, so I would paddle across the lake with the oars, then "wind troll" back with a small green streamer. I landed two, lost another, and had a couple bumps that didn't set. Not a bad day.
Yeah, realized that as I was taking out. Phone was on the deck of the kayak because I had just taken a pic of the fish I was releasing. Oh, well. I’m sure that will not be the last phone I’ll donate to the fish gods. It’s certainly not the first!

OlyFarq

Smolt
Yeah, realized that as I was taking out. Phone was on the deck of the kayak because I had just taken a pic of the fish I was releasing. Oh, well. I’m sure that will not be the last phone I’ll donate to the fish gods. It’s certainly not the first!
I keep mine on a lanyard around my neck when I fish for just that reason. I started doing it after I donated two phones to the SF Snoqualmie in one summer. Keeps it accessible for photos, but protects it from Davey Jones' locker.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fitting name!

Here are some pics….

Glad you had company to help! Bummer about the phone.
I hit one of my locals for just a couple hours and the Garmin read 44-46 depending on the shoal. Warmer than I expected. I'll take that after the cold we've had. The 1 holdover I managed to land fought like the water was just right!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I just recently lost a Fishin Buddy 120 to slight dunking, I feel your pain. I only have 2 back ups.
Ha, well I had an IPhone backup….accidentally. I thought I blew up my 2.5 yo IPhone last September by getting it wet coho fishing the beaches. It would charge but the screen was completely black or have faint squiggly lines. Decided to give it a charge just in case before heading to Best Buy to get a new phone and the damn thing charged and is just working fine! I like small wins ;).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Ha, well I had an IPhone backup….accidentally. I thought I blew up my 2.5 yo IPhone last September by getting it wet coho fishing the beaches. It would charge but the screen was completely black or have faint squiggly lines. Decided to give it a charge just in case before heading to Best Buy to get a new phone and the damn thing charged and is just working fine! I like small wins ;).
This may be your karmic payment for dumping your kayak and losing over a G’s worth of gear and being so chill about it. Impressive. I would’ve been pissed!

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I can live with the loss of 1k in gear.
After losing a coveted Sage LL to the drink I changed my philosophy and since then have gone to less expensive gear over deep water.
That said, a couple of years ago I had a fish yank my rod out of my pram as I was rowing/trolling back to the launch.
Even though it was a 60$ Cabela's rod with a 60$ Okuma reel it still added up to 200$ with line and backing. Miraculously, a forum member found that one a year later and posted it on the old forum. Other than some degradation to the cork it's a survivor.

Most importantly, glad you made it out okay.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I can live with the loss of 1k in gear. Anyone know where I can replace my dignity and what it’s gonna cost me :)?
One of the services we offer at Matt B's Psychotherapy Emporium and Donut Shoppe is Dignity Restoration. Let me know if you want to set up a free consultation...at your favorite secret productive SRC beach. ;)
But yeah, like @Old406Kid said, glad you made it out okay and had friends to help and witness this. Now you all have another good story to file away.