Dubbing Loops

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I've tried this before but suck at it. Maybe my bent paper clip twister needs an upgrade. ;)
I mainly want to work with bunny and eliminate the rabbit hide while palmering collars.
What material clip and sizes as well as spinning tool do folks prefer? I checked out YouTube for some tutorials, but the videos I watched weren't great.
If there are any videos you suggest watching, please post a link.
Thanks
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
For rabbit, I like the loon tweezer clip. I don't like it for ANY other material, but for zonkers it is the way to go. For spinning tool I like the heaviest I can find. Not sure what brand mine is but it is heavy

Thanks for the link.
SF

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use these tools for dubbing loops. But I much prefer the split thread technique and so don't use the loop spinner very often.

View attachment 104341
View attachment 104342
I use the dubbing spinner with the Loon clamp to lay out the materials on the table. Allows me to combine different dubbing and flash. For brushing out the dubbing, I currently use a toothbrush with Velcro glued on the back of the head, but have my eye on the Stonfo brush.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I use the dubbing spinner with the Loon clamp to lay out the materials on the table. Allows me to combine different dubbing and flash. For brushing out the dubbing, I currently use a toothbrush with Velcro glued on the back of the head, but have my eye on the Stonfo brush.
The black Stonflo brush with the hair comb on the other end is pretty handy!

I'd like to try using a dubbing block to make brushes, but I haven't done that yet.

SSPey

loco alto!
The video above at 55 mins shows the method I’ve used for bunny.

I‘ve had various spinners and like the simplicity, heft and balance of the OPST spinner. I’ve seen a few DIY versions

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
The video above at 55 mins shows the method I’ve used for bunny.

I‘ve had various spinners and like the simplicity, heft and balance of the OPST spinner. I’ve seen a few DIY versions

That is exactly what I want to do.
Does anyone just trap the bunny in the loop minus the hide and palmer it without spinning it like you’d palmer a tied in piece of cross cut bunny?
This is what I’m looking to achieve but without the hide. I’d then be putting red or orange dubbed gills in over where the bunny is tied in behind the eyes.
SF

IMG_6585.jpeg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Does anyone just trap the bunny in the loop minus the hide and palmer it without spinning it like you’d palmer a tied in piece of cross cut bunny?
The spinning and the wax is what holds it. However, maybe put your fur in a clamp:
Material clamp.jpg
Then cut the hide off, apply a bead of flexible UV where the hide was and then zap it with the light. Skip the thread and dubbing all together

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Or do what you mentioned and uv glue it to the thread.

If I didn’t spin it, I’d do several wraps of thread over the ends after plamering it. I’d also be dubbing the gills over the ends which would further secure it. I’ll order a clip and spinning tool today and play around with it in hopes of getting better at the technique.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Well, $60+ later I think I’m ready to be better at dubbing loops. It’s like going to Costco when you just need one thing. Ain’t gonna happen.
Macgyver’d up some tools to get me through the weekend until my order shows up. 😂
Dubbing brush idea courtesy of @jasmillo
SF

IMG_6591.jpeg