Drilling out indicator pegs

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Went about enlarging the peg hole with a hand drill. Wish I had a drill press. This drill doesn't have a spirit bubble, but I'm not sure the peg is plumb in the vice grips either. I wiggled on one and ruined it, otherwise I just kind of let it "fall" through the existing hole the best I could.. Stepped up in size twice to get a 3/32" hole. That will pass a knot of 10# to 10# easily. Often I like to lengthen the heavier leader above the ring instead of on the tippet side because it casts better.
Just curious as to how others go about this.
20230319_163246.jpg

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Went about enlarging the peg hole with a hand drill. Wish I had a drill press. This drill doesn't have a spirit bubble, but I'm not sure the peg is plumb in the vice grips either. I wiggled on one and ruined it, otherwise I just kind of let it "fall" through the existing hole the best I could.. Stepped up in size twice to get a 3/32" hole. That will pass a knot of 10# to 10# easily. Often I like to lengthen the heavier leader above the ring instead of on the tippet side because it casts better.
Just curious as to how others go about this.
View attachment 58453
Practice makes perfect.
I don't ruin very many any more.
I use a 18 volt rechargeable drill.
Not sure what size bit I use.
I hold the peg lightly with pliers or my fingers.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I use 1/8" Keep the drill steady and holding the peg with pliers just run it up the bit and back out. I don't move the drill, I move the peg.
Which do you hold in your dominant hand?
I’ve messed this up before myself.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Which do you hold in your dominant hand?
I’ve messed this up before myself.
Well I have a drill press. I hold the peg as loose as I can without it coming free and just let it kind of center itself on the existing hole. With the hand drill I would use dominant hand on the pliers...maybe get someone to hold the drill down on it's side. Get set up and you can drill a bunch in a couple of minutes.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It pays to have a number drill index of 60 drills from #1 to #60. This allows you to step drill a little at a time and with small increments it is almost impossible to go off center. Or go too large. I first use about a one inch square of wood that gets a hole drilled into it that the tapered plastic peg with press fit into. Press the peg into the hole and then use the wooden block to slide the peg up and down the center hole drill. It is far easier to manage than vise grips or pliers.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
It pays to have a number drill index of 60 drills from #1 to #60. This allows you to step drill a little at a time and with small increments it is almost impossible to go off center. Or go too large. I first use about a one inch square of wood that gets a hole drilled into it that the tapered plastic peg with press fit into. Press the peg into the hole and then use the wooden block to slide the peg up and down the center hole drill. It is far easier to manage than vise grips or pliers.
I was thinking of making a base block with a plumb hole in it, thanks for the confirmation on the idea.
My son has I drill press I bought him several years ago. I'm set for now, but I'll do a few more, which will probably last a few seasons. I use up the foam but don't loose pegs. Well, there are a few hanging in the trees out of reach around the lakes.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I use one of those drill bits with the hex butt and do it by hand. Doesn’t take much to drill styrofoam.
I'm not enlarging the foam hole, as a matter of fact I'm trying a smear of solarez on the inside to slow enlargement.