Drift boat trailer

MT406

Steelhead
A hub on my drift boat trailer blew the other day while heading to the river. The shop I dropped it off with stated the trailer would need a new axle.. They quoted me $550 with labor. Is this a fair amount for an axle replacement ?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
For reference, 6 years ago a new Dexter axle w/ EZ hubs delivered to my driveway from PotterWebster Co in Portland cost $270, with another $100 to a local welder for the swap out.
So at todays 'high rates for everything'. $500 sounds fairly reasonable...just make sure the hubs are EZ lube or similar

Bricaud

Smolt
That's about right. Think i paid roughly $500 for a new dexter axle to be welded on my older drift boat trailer by a trailer shop in Ellensburg a couple years ago.

If the spindles were damaged by your wheel when the bearings blew, a new axle is the right answer. When i bought my boat, i had to replace bearings way too frequently on trips as the spindles were damaged. a new axle with fresh spindles fixed it right up and haven't any blow outs since, just preventative repacking of the bearings.

Last edited:

CRO

Steelhead
if you didnt have bearing buddies before be sure to add them. A fresh filling of grease before each trip will increase the life of those bearings.

jannick

Freshly Spawned
That's about right. Think i paid roughly $500 for a new dexter axle to be welded on my older drift boat trailer by a trailer shop in Ellensburg a couple years ago.

If the spindles were damaged by your wheel when the bearings blew, a new axle is the right answer. When i bought my boat, i had to replace bearings way too frequently on trips as the spindles were damaged. a new axle with fresh spindles fixed it right up and haven't any blow outs since, just preventative repacking of the bearings.

I agree that replacing the axle is the right answer if the spindles were damaged by the wheel when the bearings blew. It's better to spend the money upfront and get a new axle than to have to keep replacing bearings or risk a blowout at https://www.tradebearings.com

I'm glad to hear that a new axle with fresh spindles fixed the problem for you. It's good to know that preventative repacking of the bearings is all you need to do now.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's helpful for others who may be facing the same problem. For bearings info you can visit https://en.tradebearings.com/

Last edited: