Doves

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I just did a burn an turn to the ranch near Oroville. Driving around and to and from I’m noticing a lot of doves. Being an old grouse hunter I’ve no idea about doves. But it seems to be a banner year for them. Anyone savvy that might share some insight? Early this morning many were at the road edge for gone gravel, I assume. Otherwise perched on power lines.
so, what’s the plan, if there is one?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
People pass shoot them on their travel routes too and from feed/shelter/water. Been noticing more Eurasian collard doves around here, I only see them in pairs here and there. I wish I had access to a farm with grain, I'm sure there would be more opportunities. I have a .410 that needs to be dusted off this season, I think I'll start with a grouse tag.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Doves typically fly from roosts to feeding areas early morning and then to watering sites. Midday they stay tucked into shade areas, leaving these to return to feed Later afternoon. Continue scouting to find flyway paths, establish ambush locations for opening day. Try not to disrupt night roosts as birds may vacate totally. Watch weather forecasts, too. A pre opening day cold front will send majority of birds south on migration. This can literally shut down shooting completely.

your 20 or 28 bore will be great fun but a .410 is where the true skill comes in! I prefer IC on the 20’s, full on the .410, 8 shot is best size. I hunted many seasons in Yakima county, plus Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia, Mexico and Zimbabwe,
I love those doves. The collared doves are an added bonus!

Post an updates! If you kill some, I’ve got a recipe for most excellent dove breast “poppers”!

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Doves typically fly from roosts to feeding areas early morning and then to watering sites. Midday they stay tucked into shade areas, leaving these to return to feed Later afternoon. Continue scouting to find flyway paths, establish ambush locations for opening day. Try not to disrupt night roosts as birds may vacate totally. Watch weather forecasts, too. A pre opening day cold front will send majority of birds south on migration. This can literally shut down shooting completely.

your 20 or 28 bore will be great fun but a .410 is where the true skill comes in! I prefer IC on the 20’s, full on the .410, 8 shot is best size. I hunted many seasons in Yakima county, plus Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia, Mexico and Zimbabwe,
I love those doves. The collared doves are an added bonus!

Post an updates! If you kill some, I’ve got a recipe for most excellent dove breast “poppers”!
Thanks Karl, will do…my little 28 Wingmaster has RemChoke.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I used to go out every September for Dove season. It’s a lot of fun, and can be very humbling. They seem to be a 50mph bird! If you can find there travel lanes you are in business. Cammo up and Be there at first light and the end of the day.

Cliff

Steelhead
I always threaten to try dove hunting but I always succumb to an inability to find places to hunt. I'm not looking for people to tell me where to look, I just have trouble figuring out where to look on public land where it meets agricultural lands with grains, and a water source. For instance, I've never seen doves in the Crab Creek drainage around Moses Lake, yet there is plenty of farmland and water.