SFR Don't ya' just hate it when . . .

Sorta fishing-related

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I hate it when heading to Oregon coast, have fishing plans for 3 days (actually a total of 1.5 days) …. Went through my gear, packed it all but I was changing lines on the reels. So I told myself I’ll remember to pack reels in the am. Long story short. I had 3 rods and no reels when I got to Oregon. I had my waders, flies, net, stripping basket, etc. but no reels and no line. 😆

Sure enough a week later the three reels and a couple spare spools were sitting right where I had left them. It was not a best moment for me 😬

Yes I could have went and bought a cheap reel but I needed to punish myself. So no fishing. 😞 I was really upset with myself over that one.
I'd punish myself by buying three expensive reels and requisite flylines rather than not fish.

When my brand new Sage X butt fell off and dropped the reel off the rod I just bought a decently constructed flyrod (Echo Stillwater). Will likely buy some more Echos....anything but Sage.

At this point in my life...fuck it, I'm fishin'.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I hate it when heading to Oregon coast, have fishing plans for 3 days (actually a total of 1.5 days) …. Went through my gear, packed it all but I was changing lines on the reels. So I told myself I’ll remember to pack reels in the am. Long story short. I had 3 rods and no reels when I got to Oregon. I had my waders, flies, net, stripping basket, etc. but no reels and no line. 😆

Sure enough a week later the three reels and a couple spare spools were sitting right where I had left them. It was not a best moment for me 😬

Yes I could have went and bought a cheap reel but I needed to punish myself. So no fishing. 😞 I was really upset with myself over that one.
Jeeze, you sound like me. I’m notorious for forgetting stuff…

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
If it ain't one thing, it's another. I felt better having taken care of the Skybox issue, so went out on the deck to water the fuchsias. I keep one of those pocket hoses and a watering wand attached to the hose bib that serves the deck on the back of our house. Turn on the faucet and no water. What the? Pocket hoses don't have an especially long service life, so I disconnected the hose and turned the faucet on again. No water. Aha! The exterior hose bibs on our house include an anti-syphon vacuum breaker doo-hickey. It's supposed to prevent water from syphoning back into the water system, although how that might ever happen is beyond me. I guess it was plumbing code when we built this place in 2009-10. (But the farmer faucets out by the garage are not equiped with this feature, but oh well.) This has happened to exterior hose bibs twice before and a call to the plumber resulted in a bill somewhere north of $100 each time. So I figured this isn't rocket science and decided to remove it and see if I could make it work again myself. I removed it, but as for making it work, nuttin' doin'. Since I have nothing else to do besides prepare for a fishing trip I'm off to Lowes to buy a new doo-hickey. And of course, even though their store inventory shows one left in stock, it ain't there. So how's Mrs. Salmo going to water the fuschsias and other deck plants while I'm away?

I then looked through the bins of hose bibs and parts and found a small hose bib with male threads on both ends. This might work, so I bought it for a temporary fix. And it does, but it leaks despite the healthy application of plumber's tape to the threads. I kinda' thought about leaving it permanently, but since it leaks I'll get a new anti-syphon doo-hickey when they're back in stock and I return home.

Now what's going to be broken or not working today?
Don’t ask…

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Wouldn't ya' know, he and Wayne are on the river today. And this is the guy who was uncertain about how many days he could make it over this season due to, uh, work. Hah!
Lost the fish of the day yesterday. Bring your rain jacket. On June 22nd it was 23 degrees here in camp. What's work?