Dog Bite On Waders

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just an FYI type thing on dog bites, always, always go to a DR!

A former co worked had both hands amputated and was in a coma for a week due to neglecting a dog bite.
Did a online Drs appointment, they said with no blood draw and no direct contact I should be good. Things can get scary quick

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's important to get these biting dogs on record. A call to the Sheriff is in order. Often, the owners do not take action unless "encouraged".

"Oh, I'm sorry, he's a rescue."

This is the bullshit I hear all the time from good hearted small brained idiots with dogs. Often their parenting style is similar to their animal ownership style. "I don't really provide boundaries so much as opportunities for expression." They aren't doing their kids or animals any type of service. They create unruly frothing entitled menaces that should be put down. Their dogs suck too.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Some shit owner always has to ruin it for the rest of us. Other communities I’ve lived in dogs off leash is the norm, interestingly those communities also have considerably less dog bite/fight interactions. Washington has higher bite/fight occurrences with more dogs on leash. I always wonder what factor motivates this most, is it poor training?

What kind of dog was it? Curious.
Two free dogs who don't like each other, both have the option of going their separate ways. A leashed dog is going to feel more defensive, especially if the other dog is not restrained. I think almost all dog fights/disagreements I've witnessed involved at least one of the dogs being off-leash.

JudyM

Steelhead
Went out for a birthday lunch at a well-known sea food restaurant. As we were behind the waitress walking to be seated, I heard an ankle biter barking in the restaurant. Wanna bet it was not a service dog?

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You should still call the LEO's. You were assaulted.
Just the same as if I walked up to you and slapped yer face.
That dog is gonna bite someone else.
I would say you were not the first.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
My rescue dog Rigby came to us about two months ago. When we got him, he strained on the leash and reacted aggressively to (some) other dogs when we walked by.

Now, he mostly walks on a slack leash. Yesterday and today were his first two times off leash at the dog park and he played nicely with all the other dogs there.

It's a lot of work and attention, but he is learning how to behave and getting better every day. It bums me out when people let their dogs behave badly.

Still working on the instant recall. And, weirdly for a retriever mix, he does not get the concept of fetch. I'd love to hear any good ideas on those. I'm eager to see how he takes to the rowboat when 'my' lake opens up on Saturday.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
My rescue dog Rigby came to us about two months ago. When we got him, he strained on the leash and reacted aggressively to (some) other dogs when we walked by.

Now, he mostly walks on a slack leash. Yesterday and today were his first two times off leash at the dog park and he played nicely with all the other dogs there.

It's a lot of work and attention, but he is learning how to behave and getting better every day. It bums me out when people let their dogs behave badly.

Still working on the instant recall. And, weirdly for a retriever mix, he does not get the concept of fetch. I love to hear any good ideas on those. I'm eager to see how he takes to the rowboat when 'my' lake opens up on Saturday.
Zak - it sounds to me like you have made a commitment to train your dog and to exercise him regularly. Good on you. I wonder how many dogs are regularly walked and owners keep up with training?

Last Sunday my wife and I stopped by the pumping station at the south end of Lake Lenore; I wanted to see how many trout were in the channel. When we pulled up, there was a man walking a black German shepard like dog that started walking towards our car. I wouldn't get out until the man called his dog who obeyed, returned and sat on command. At that time I got out and "Mike" and I exchanged greetings. As the recipient of a nasty dog bite from a dog whose owner said "Oh, pet him, he won't bite", I was (and always will be) wary of dogs. Mike brought the dog over, the dog was controlled, he sniffed my hand and from then on "Diggity" was good with my wife and with me. Obviously Mike works with Diggity.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Zak - it sounds to me like you have made a commitment to train your dog and to exercise him regularly. Good on you. I wonder how many dogs are regularly walked and owners keep up with training?

Last Sunday my wife and I stopped by the pumping station at the south end of Lake Lenore; I wanted to see how many trout were in the channel. When we pulled up, there was a man walking a black German shepard like dog that started walking towards our car. I wouldn't get out until the man called his dog who obeyed, returned and sat on command. At that time I got out and "Mike" and I exchanged greetings. As the recipient of a nasty dog bite from a dog whose owner said "Oh, pet him, he won't bite", I was (and always will be) wary of dogs. Mike brought the dog over, the dog was controlled, he sniffed my hand and from then on "Diggity" was good with my wife and with me. Obviously Mike works with Diggity.
Thanks, the exercise is good for us both! I have a desk job and am pretty sedentary. Because of that and a fondness for rich food, I'm about 40 pounds heavier than I'd like to be.

Now Rigby has me walking about 2.5 miles every day. It's good for me and a tired dog is a good dog!

cedarslug

Steelhead
Some of us happen to like those little shit eating dogs. Probably was provoked by the shit eating idiot in waders.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm, yet, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that the wader wearing, rod carrying OP wasn’t out to harm a person/dog. In a sane world, I couldn’t see how OP could have “provoked” an unleashed dog.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead

Still working on the instant recall. And, weirdly for a retriever mix, he does not get the concept of fetch. I'd love to hear any good ideas on those. I'm eager to see how he takes to the rowboat when 'my' lake opens up on Saturday.
Our last Lab would fetch the ball once each time you thew it. Period
Our current lab wears herself out, though instead of bringing it directly to you, she throws it back at you from 3-4 feet.
People get dogs like they do fancy vehicles. Not understanding/realizing the investment.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter

Fetch and retrievers can be a mixed blessing.
My first Labrador didn't like the water when she was a pup, but eventually became the best duck retriever, all-time! My opinion. They all figure it out eventually. Patience!

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Fetch and retrievers can be a mixed blessing.
My first Labrador didn't like the water when she was a pup, but eventually became the best duck retriever, all-time! My opinion. They all figure it out eventually. Patience!
Yes! My old Jack Russell, Rosie, was an absolute freak for frisbees, balls, and sticks. While it made it easy to exercise her, she couldn't bear to wait for me to cast before throwing the stick again. A mixed blessing for sure; it made her kind of a demanding fishing buddy! She was one tough dog and would swim across any river, even if she ended up 1/4 mile downstream by the other side.