Dog Bite On Waders

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
My rescue dog Rigby came to us about two months ago. When we got him, he strained on the leash and reacted aggressively to (some) other dogs when we walked by.

Now, he mostly walks on a slack leash. Yesterday and today were his first two times off leash at the dog park and he played nicely with all the other dogs there.

It's a lot of work and attention, but he is learning how to behave and getting better every day. It bums me out when people let their dogs behave badly.

Still working on the instant recall. And, weirdly for a retriever mix, he does not get the concept of fetch. I'd love to hear any good ideas on those. I'm eager to see how he takes to the rowboat when 'my' lake opens up on Saturday.
That's amazing Zak. Rescues come with so much baggage and uncertainty. Training a rescue usually takes far longer than beginning with a fresh pup, and some never do become "normal," whatever that is for a dog. Whatever you're doing, you appear to be doing it right. Good luck with Rigby!

Otter

Steelhead
Still working on the instant recall.
I have only trained one dog, however, I was lucky enough to get "dog obedience" lessons from the head of our local kennel club. She was excellent. It wasn't long before I realized that it's more about the owner getting trained on how to train the dog. Not sure if I worded that right.

I'll share my limited experience, in case it's useful to you, Zak. Here is what I recall about how our class was taught to recall our dogs:

First, Rigby needs to have already learned "sit" and "stay", very very well. Then, replace the leash with a very long rope to the dog's collar, and put Rigby on "stay". Walk away (I forget how far, but not too far at first). Then give the verbal command "Rigby come" while patting your thigh once (visual command), and instantly pull Rigby all the way to you with the rope. When Rigby arrives at your feet, tell it "good dog" a bunch of times, at the same time firmly but nicely patting her head. (If you don't instantly reward a dog for a good behaviour, it doesn't know yet if it's being good or bad. It sounds like you already know this, since you're training is going so well).

Do that a bunch of times, gradually lengthening the distance for Rigby to come to you, and be sure to reward him profusely, every time. Pretty soon, he will come to you without needing to be pulled by the rope. Keep training, but drop the verbal command "Rigby come". Dogs need to learn to obey hand signals only, to keep them safe when they can't hear too well, due to a noisy environment.... think vehicle traffic.

To me, the most important reason for obedience training is safety. For example, if your dog is on the other side of the road, and a vehicle is approaching, your dog sure better know "stay". And if there's a situation that's dangerous, and your dog needs to come to you instantly, well, there's an other example of essential obedience.

I sure miss my black lab. Some people say labs are not very bright, but she could sit and stay while I walked half a block away, and wouldn't budge until I slapped my thigh. I don't know how long she could have waited for my recall command, but I never stretched it out more than a few minutes.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have only trained one dog, however, I was lucky enough to get "dog obedience" lessons from the head of our local kennel club. She was excellent. It wasn't long before I realized that it's more about the owner getting trained on how to train the dog. Not sure if I worded that right.

I'll share my limited experience, in case it's useful to you, Zak. Here is what I recall about how our class was taught to recall our dogs:

First, Rigby needs to have already learned "sit" and "stay", very very well. Then, replace the leash with a very long rope to the dog's collar, and put Rigby on "stay". Walk away (I forget how far, but not too far at first). Then give the verbal command "Rigby come" while patting your thigh once (visual command), and instantly pull Rigby all the way to you with the rope. When Rigby arrives at your feet, tell it "good dog" a bunch of times, at the same time firmly but nicely patting her head. (If you don't instantly reward a dog for a good behaviour, it doesn't know yet if it's being good or bad. It sounds like you already know this, since you're training is going so well).

Do that a bunch of times, gradually lengthening the distance for Rigby to come to you, and be sure to reward him profusely, every time. Pretty soon, he will come to you without needing to be pulled by the rope. Keep training, but drop the verbal command "Rigby come". Dogs need to learn to obey hand signals only, to keep them safe when they can't hear too well, due to a noisy environment.... think vehicle traffic.

To me, the most important reason for obedience training is safety. For example, if your dog is on the other side of the road, and a vehicle is approaching, your dog sure better know "stay". And if there's a situation that's dangerous, and your dog needs to come to you instantly, well, there's an other example of essential obedience.

I sure miss my black lab. Some people say labs are not very bright, but she could sit and stay while I walked half a block away, and wouldn't budge until I slapped my thigh. I don't know how long she could have waited for my recall command, but I never stretched it out more than a few minutes.

There are few things in life that are as fulfilling as a well trained good natured dog. They are a complete joy.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

This is great advice, thank you!