Do you tie with scissors on?

Do you tie with your scissors in your hands?

• Total voters

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I always hold them, @jasmillo style. And like @mcswny I take care not to put my eye out.

As far as caddies, you can do better for tools you need to keep handy with a drill and piece of wood trim.

IMG_0997.jpeg

flybill

Life of the Party
I will always buy a few+ flies from shops that are located in destination locations. I love to support local small businesses. I will fish a couple and always keep one as a reference especially if they catch fish. Then I will tie my own. After 50+ years I have a lot of materials. If I do not I buy materials from the local shop. Still not sure about purple color though...
I do the same and include leaders and tippet! Support the local shops! And it helps in getting a little info if you're new to the area or just haven't been there in a while..

flybill

Life of the Party
Oh hell no! If I tried that I'd be blind by the end of the evening. I have to wear safety glasses just to pick my nose.
I've got some safety glasses I can send you.. or save myself when I use the scissors in the hand while trying trick.. just don't scratch any itches, or pick your nose and you'll be okay! LOL!

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
With four thumbs, adding scissors is unnecessary stress to a pleasant pastime. 😉

onefish

Steelhead
Putting the scissors down all the time gives me a good reason to try and keep the station somewhat tidy. Production tying is never going to be a thing for me.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m pretty sure I’d have holes or cuts on my forehead every time I scratched it…

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Beautiful idea @PhilR. If one did not want to attach something to the stem of his/her vice, one could also do a similar idea with a small block of foam. Think of it as a mini foam, Renzetti Tool Caddy, that could be placed anywhere on the desk.

I am not coordinated enough to keep my scissors, in my hand while tying. Ive got my grandfathers' overhead roll up desk. Ive super glued strong rectangular magnets, from Lowes, at strategic points, about eye level for easy access to various tying tools.

Good thread.

Bob

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Have acquired more than a few tools over the years. Joined a fly swap and will tie this weekend! Will also tie some of Lelands poppers and some intruders. Red and black, green and black and black and blue! I really shouldn't ever buy flies with all of the stuff I have... but know I will..

View attachment 98222
I hold mine the same way as here saves on searching for them.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
One reason why I like to hold my scissors:

As everyone has pointed out, when you put them down you lose them. So many times while rifling through shit I’ve accidentally knocked my scissors off my desk and Murphys law states they HAVE to land sharp point down denting and dulling the razor sharp point. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done that, and hate it.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I learned to tie with scissors in hand as described by Albula. One loop on the 3rd finger and the other loop on my thumb. It helps that my scissors came from Roy Patrick's Fly Shop. They have large size finger loops. Been using the same pair for just over 50 years. Dawn Holbrook taught us how to sharpen scissors, so I like to keep a good edge on mine, just as I do with my knives.