Do you tie with scissors on?

Do you tie with your scissors in your hands?

• Total voters

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A few years back a guy asked me this question, and so I started trying it and now almost exclusivity do.

So the question is do you tie with your scissors in your hands at all times?

20240105_161646.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’m not that coordinated….😂
If I did like in your picture, I see blood 🩸 flowing in my future.
SF

flybill

Life of the Party
The correct answer is "sometimes".. usually not necessary though! Or really, not necessary at all.. but it can be done!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I'm production tying yes or tying flies that I know exactly what I'm doing. If I'm just tying one or unsure on certain techniques, no.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Always. Feels weird to tie without holding scissors. Don't hold them as pictured however.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Also, becareful while drinking and tying while holding scissors.
I cam VERY close to putting the business end of my scissors in my eyeball while taking a sip (thank god i wear glasses otherwise I'd be fucked)

RCF

Life of the Party
My hands and fingers are very thick. I just have troubles finding scissors that my fingers can fit into. So no...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
No. My fingers don’t usually fit through the handles well enough.

I find it more convenient to have several pairs of scissors and lose them one-by-one. When I’m out of scissors, the session’s over.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
No. I enjoy tying at a leisurely pace. After 55 years of work I've no intention of turning one of my lifelong hobbies into an Edward Scissorhands sweatshop effort.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Tip of my third finger in one loop and scissors in my palm. Then just slide the thumb into the other loop and you don't have to look for, locate and pick up the tool you use most while tying. Granted I used to tie commercially but even for the recreational tyer having a bigger pile of flies when you get up is a good thing. Important to choose the right scissor shape and style for each tyer.

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Never have tried that and now that I'm on blood thinners, I don't see me trying it . . .

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
No, and I don't even set them down in the same place all the time. Sometimes I set them off to the right if materials are on the surface front of me, often leave them in my lap, or just set them down then put something on top of them. Seems I grab the second identical pair often. I'm a mess, just like my flies, voted always reaching for them.

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
No. When I used to attend tying demos I noticed several “names” who did though. Now I use one of those foam tool caddys to hold stuff that I use a lot. And I found a deal on Dr Slick scissors at STP years ago so I have many scissors around. The bottom drawer of my material bin still has a few pairs unused in the package.

G_Smolt

Legend
Nah, my favorite scissors (old C&F, first gen Renomeds) are 1) too long to hold in position without stabbing the fuck out of some body part, and 2) sharper than Oscar Wilde after a few cocktails.

I used to hold a different pair (boring old wapsi shorts) while production tying in my high-volume guiding years, but trying to save ~180 seconds per hour of tying now just seems kinda dumb.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Most of the time I hold them throughout. Especially if I am doing a lot of basic, fill the box type patterns. Seems very natural to do so. If I am doing some big ugly tuna or bass fly that uses a bunch of materials, or something super intricate, I’ll put them down sometimes.

I find they stay out of the way tucked in the palm and I am not constantly digging through the disaster on my desk to find them.

IMG_3887.jpeg

IMG_3886.jpeg

flybill

Life of the Party
Have acquired more than a few tools over the years. Joined a fly swap and will tie this weekend! Will also tie some of Lelands poppers and some intruders. Red and black, green and black and black and blue! I really shouldn't ever buy flies with all of the stuff I have... but know I will..

20240105_192402.jpg

RCF

Life of the Party
I will always buy a few+ flies from shops that are located in destination locations. I love to support local small businesses. I will fish a couple and always keep one as a reference especially if they catch fish. Then I will tie my own. After 50+ years I have a lot of materials. If I do not I buy materials from the local shop. Still not sure about purple color though...