Do you support a Wa. Constitutional Right to Fish and Hunt?

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
I am 100% on board with this! Oregon voted it in several years back. I don't understand why anybody (other than the anit's) would be against this...

https://nwsportsmanmag.com/bill-to-...on-heard-plus-other-oly-legislation-to-watch/

The article does not include the words, "commercial" or describe how this bill applies to commercial fishing.
Would this bill enshrine the right to use commercial gillnets? The gillnetters will claim that is their only way to fish.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm OK with the concept, but I don't like having fishing and hunting "subject to the reasonable regulation by the Legislature." I sometimes have issues with the Department, but I have a bigger issue with the Legislature. By its track record, it's clear that the Legislature doesn't understand math, doesn't understand statistics, doesn't understand biology, doesn't understand ecology - basically is dumb as hell about science. WDFW, as an agency, has many professional staff who are very good at those things, which I am convinced are necessary to reasonably manage and regulate hunting and fishing.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm OK with the concept, but I don't like having fishing and hunting "subject to the reasonable regulation by the Legislature." I sometimes have issues with the Department, but I have a bigger issue with the Legislature. By its track record, it's clear that the Legislature doesn't understand math, doesn't understand statistics, doesn't understand biology, doesn't understand ecology - basically is dumb as hell about science. WDFW, as an agency, has many professional staff who are very good at those things, which I am convinced are necessary to reasonably manage and regulate hunting and fishing.
I understand your feelings about the legislature and dictates of WDFW. My reason for supporting this is that we were kicked off state land by a governor that uses his unchecked power to stop us from fishing and hunting.

I want it as law. And will fight like always against infringement.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
...and trap. It needs to codified more securely than a law, which can be overturned easily; a constitutional amendment, not so much.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
From the Constitution of the State of Vermont:

§ 67. [Hunting; fowling and fishing]

The inhabitants of this State shall have liberty in seasonable times, to hunt and fowl on the lands they hold, and on other lands not inclosed, and in like manner to fish in all boatable and other waters (not private property) under proper regulations, to be made and provided by the General Assembly.

I'm a fisherman and I guess you'd say 'retired' hunter, since I haven't hunted in years, but still support hunting. I just don't think this is the stuff of constitutions. I agree with Salmo_G that scientists should make the rules, or at least provide the data for recommendations to the legislature, and not have issues pertaining to hunting and fishing be the domain of a handful of supreme court justices who will be forced to decide the inevitable lawsuits.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I agree but the math and science is not being used to manage and regulate hunting and fishing as it is. I don't know that the legislators are the correct avenue but state agencies including WDFW need to have more checks and balances and accountability where regulation is concerned.
The idea that any state agency with no accountability can just make up laws is extremely troubling.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I agree but the math and science is not being used to manage and regulate hunting and fishing as it is. I don't know that the legislators are the correct avenue but state agencies including WDFW need to have more checks and balances and accountability where regulation is concerned.
The idea that any state agency with no accountability can just make up laws is extremely troubling.
Rob,

I'm sorry if it's a bit complicated, but that's the way real life often is. Math and science is used to inform the decision makers who make the regulations. In addition to science, established law, social values, and economics also inform management decisions. You and I may dislike certain outcomes, but the governor's social (political) value of not crossing the tribes is passed through the Commissioners to the Director, and that ends up influencing the regulations. So the accountability would be electing a governor who doesn't tell the Department to throw the constituents who pay to keep the lights on and pay the salaries under the bus. If you think a different system would produce a better resource or sportfishing outcome, I think you are very mistaken.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Rob,

I'm sorry if it's a bit complicated, but that's the way real life often is. Math and science is used to inform the decision makers who make the regulations. In addition to science, established law, social values, and economics also inform management decisions. You and I may dislike certain outcomes, but the governor's social (political) value of not crossing the tribes is passed through the Commissioners to the Director, and that ends up influencing the regulations. So the accountability would be electing a governor who doesn't tell the Department to throw the constituents who pay to keep the lights on and pay the salaries under the bus. If you think a different system would produce a better resource or sportfishing outcome, I think you are very mistaken.

The law of 100% of America is of the people by the people for the peoples.

No government agency has the right to say " the hell with the people " in my opinion they do just that regularly.