Do Not Eat Warning

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Eating Columbia walleye reminds me of when my sibs and I were looking for a new Ontario walleye lodge to try out. Found one that looked awesome; nice cabins, inexpensive, only place on the drive-to lake, pics of tons of big fish. Googling the lake name for reviews, I came across a news article about "one of the worst cases of environmental poisoning in Canadian history" - roughly 10,000 kg of mercury discharged into the river just upstream of that lake in the 70s.
Uhhh...hard pass! :sick:

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
All the low elevation lakes around here have high natural occurring mercury levels.
Eat bass once a month until you die.
Planted trout, eat all you want, no thanks.
Higher elevation lakes are O.K. to eat the fish/trout.
Same for the rivers. C&R for all the trout, except hatchery steelhead.
I practice C&R everywhere I go.
I wonder if I would kill and eat hatchery steelhead or coho. I'll have to catch one first.

TylerSadowski

Just Hatched
The interesting thing to see will be if the state makes all the fish in Lake Samm and Lake Wa catch and release. If they aren't safe for consumption will they keep the 6 cutthroat limit or just leave it? Typical BS if you ask me, oh these fish are unsafe to eat but go ahead and keep as many as you would like ;) so are they unsafe or do we want to make the regs reflect this?

CRO

Steelhead
I did some searching on WDFW website and was unable to find the new recommendation by the dept of Health fish consumption in lake washington. Was wondering if i am just missing something. I know that in the paper copy of state fishing regulations there is a page that recommends limits of consumption.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I did some searching on WDFW website and was unable to find the new recommendation by the dept of Health fish consumption in lake washington. Was wondering if i am just missing something. I know that in the paper copy of state fishing regulations there is a page that recommends limits of consumption.
It’s a DOH thing, not a WDFW thing.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just tell them you have bad eye sight and you can only see the "take" with a bobber! The bamboo rod might not appreciate it though.

Nobody that works there fishes anyway. You could be out there with a halibut rod and roller guides and they wouldn't know the difference. It used to be that 80% or so of the department fished (anecdotal ocular estimate of my own experience). I would say that has changed to very very few fishing WDFW employees at this juncture. The typical department employee at this time I would say is half the time or more not even from Washington with a heavy bias towards East coast Pennsylvania type places and the odds of them fishing is virtually zero. I credit this change in demographic for a fair share of the problems the department is experiencing. Like the commission they simply as a group don't give a shit about quality fishing because they aren't into it. They simply just go to their government job and do the government thing for the government pay and government benefits. I mean where else is an East coast transplant with an evergreen college degree and a superficial lukewarm affinity for hiking going to work? Yes there's bright shining exceptions and my statements are in large part made via their testimony to me on the subject. Those that care are becoming afflicted with low morale, and who could blame them.