DIY Flybox?

Coastal_Cutthroat_Chef

Freshly Spawned
Feel like this might be a good place to ask.. want to do a diy flybox for mostly streamers. I'm assuming it's as simple as finding a box and some foam, cut to size, and glue the foam in. But I'm sure someone has a few tips or suggestions, and I would love to hear them!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Super easy. I make them all the time.
I like smaller boxes rather then suitcase size, but this will work for both.
Hobby Lobby has everything you need.
I got 6 boxes plus a holder for $9.99.
Buy a 12 x 18 sheet of 3 or 5mm foam for $0.99 a can of spray adhesive and some cheap paintbrushes.
I picked up a container of 144 brushes at Michael’s years ago for like $6. It will take a lifetime to use them all.
Press the bottom of the box down into the foam, which will give you a template to cut around. Cut slightly inside the lines.
I like to spray the adhesive onto a piece of foil then brush it into the bottom of the box.
I find it less messy then spraying it in. Let the adhesive tack up, put the foam in then press around the edges. I usually set a piece of cardboard on the foam then place a couple heavy food cans or jars on top overnight.
Super easy. I figure it costs me about $3 per box and about 10 minutes to make each one.
SF

3048EF49-754D-40D8-9931-02D6F056B74E.jpeg51C813CE-CC26-4F89-A3CB-AC7B6820B9EC.jpeg44FF7ABD-F41C-4C64-83B5-F18B4D5A73D7.jpeg69A707B8-474A-459C-8CBB-105181DDC17B.jpeg644C9873-CAD0-4061-B9EC-6F1F9D1AFC0E.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Feel like this might be a good place to ask.. want to do a diy flybox for mostly streamers. I'm assuming it's as simple as finding a box and some foam, cut to size, and glue the foam in. But I'm sure someone has a few tips or suggestions, and I would love to hear them!
Altoids tin + 2mm foam. Considering Altoids originated in London, it’s like a DIY Wheatley box.

Pool noodle section = pre-rigged streamers roll.

ARecher

Smolt
Do any of you guys use the "Pip's Box" for leaders? I was thinking about trying it out for fly fishing leaders. I use the pool noodle for mooching/herring spinning gear rigs because they take a while to tie up. I guess pre-tied beach leaders are pretty much just mono with a loop on one end. Maybe I just need to get faster at tying knots but when I'm on the beach or river bank, I hate spending a lot of time on rigging. Going to have to make a couple of those fly boxes.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
A great way to do it is to use foam and Pinking Shears (those zig-zig crafting scissors). Cut a line down the foam and then use an exacto knife to cut in to the foam, and you have an insert just like a storebought box. I wish I had a picture

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Dollar store has, at least they had, nice plastic boxes with 10 compartments that hold most flies perfectly. I bought 10 of them. $10.80 with tax. Just a month ago so check that option as they should still have them. And you don't have to eat the breath mints.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Super easy. I make them all the time.
I like smaller boxes rather then suitcase size, but this will work for both.
Hobby Lobby has everything you need.
I got 6 boxes plus a holder for $9.99.
Buy a 12 x 18 sheet of 3 or 5mm foam for $0.99 a can of spray adhesive and some cheap paintbrushes.
I picked up a container of 144 brushes at Michael’s years ago for like $6. It will take a lifetime to use them all.
Press the bottom of the box down into the foam, which will give you a template to cut around. Cut slightly inside the lines.
I like to spray the adhesive onto a piece of foil then brush it into the bottom of the box.
I find it less messy then spraying it in. Let the adhesive tack up, put the foam in then press around the edges. I usually set a piece of cardboard on the foam then place a couple heavy food cans or jars on top overnight.
Super easy. I figure it costs me about $3 per box and about 10 minutes to make each one.
SF

View attachment 11412View attachment 11413View attachment 11414View attachment 11415View attachment 11416
Sweet
What are the paint brushes for??
Never mind
I re read it

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Sweet
What are the paint brushes for??

For brushing the adhesive into the bottom of the box. Much cleaner and precise application of the adhesive versus just spaying it in and only trying to get it on the bottom and not up on the sides of the boxes.
Just a personal preference.
SF

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Hardware store plastic box for organizing nuts and bolts. Dollar store comment above sounds good. I also use Altoid boxes and cbd mint tins..