Dirtbag sockeye

Chucker

Steelhead
This is a bucket fishing trip for me. Not going to happen this year, but I would love to do camping with the kids and fish.

Lake Wenatchee is opening this week. I think it’s a better place to camp with the kids than Baker. Though it can also be a bit of a mad house, and the fish aren’t as big, or as bright as the Baker fish.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Lake Wenatchee is opening this week. I think it’s a better place to camp with the kids than Baker. Though it can also be a bit of a mad house, and the fish aren’t as big, or as bright as the Baker fish.
We love camping at Lake Wenatchee, but you have to make reservations in January to be able to snag a campground.

I noticed that the state park doesn't open until 6:30. Is sockeye a morning game? I'm assuming that you want to get off the water before the heat hits

Chucker

Steelhead
We love camping at Lake Wenatchee, but you have to make reservations in January to be able to snag a campground.

I noticed that the state park doesn't open until 6:30. Is sockeye a morning game? I'm assuming that you want to get off the water before the heat hits

I have had pretty good luck with last minute reservations at lake W, it seems like people book sites in January, and then cancel them a couple of days before. I actually booked a site yesterday, for next week.

If you are staying at the park, you can launch whenever you want. I have never tried to get there from home early enough to fish, so I don't know if that’s possible.

It’s usually the wind that drives you off the lake by mid-morning. The days that doesn’t happen, you can catch them all day, just deeper.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I actually hate that camping has turned into this. The glory of camping used to be that you could decide on a Tuesday that you wanted to get outside for the weekend and be able to make it happen. I mean, obviously not everywhere you wanted, but SOMEWHERE. These days it seems like even rando campsites are full months in advance.

Chucker

Steelhead
I actually hate that camping has turned into this. The glory of camping used to be that you could decide on a Tuesday that you wanted to get outside for the weekend and be able to make it happen. I mean, obviously not everywhere you wanted, but SOMEWHERE. These days it seems like even rando campsites are full months in advance.

I totally agree. I have never been able to plan way far in advance. Life is way more difficult than it used to be.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I can be pretty flexible when I head out; much much less so when I have my wife and two little kids with me. Right when they reach their time limit is right about when we discover that we are going to have to keep driving around, looking for...something, anything reasonable. That sucks the fun right the hell out of it.

This year--even being way on the ball, coordinating ahead of time with several other families, arranging calendars, and waking up early to get on Rec.gov to book a site at Kachess, when we got on there, someone had simply gotten online a day or two before and booked through the whole week and weekend. Of course, they can just cancel their Wednesday and Thursday later, or just not use them and eat the fee so they get the prime weekend.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

Ryan,
Sockeye are definitely a morning game in my experience. At Baker lake the bite usually drops off dramatically after about 10 or definitely by 11.
Fish can be caught later but the odds really drop off.
Some people fish evenings but it's not even close to the early bite and often the wind blows making it difficult to fish.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ryan,
Sockeye are definitely a morning game in my experience. At Baker lake the bite usually drops off dramatically after about 10 or definitely by 11.
Fish can be caught later but the odds really drop off.
Some people fish evenings but it's not even close to the early bite and often the wind blows making it difficult to fish.
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info!