Dirtbag sockeye

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
The bite was red hot today for opening day at Baker Lake.
My friend and I put 5 in the boat. Had a triple on and a couple doubles. We probably lost 7 or 8 fish.
Those sockeye go apeshit when hooked.
Really nice sized too.
I had a 6.5 lb male and a 5.5 lb female and a 3 lb female. 20230708_145539.jpg20230708_145706.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
The bite was red hot today for opening day at Baker Lake.
My friend and put 5 in the boat. Had a triple on and a couple doubles. We probably lost 7 or 8 fish.
Those sockeye go apeshit when hooked.
Really nice sized too.
I had a 6.5 lb male and a 5.5 lb female and a 3 lb female. View attachment 72072View attachment 72073
Fred - why don’t you smile?! :). Nice!!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
That's a great meat fishery. While I get lots of chinook and coho from my local Columbia haunts, the sockeye fishery here is fickle at best and the fish aren't much bigger than kokanee.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Almost making me tempted to make the 89789473mi drive

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What is the little pink/orange think in the skirt of your home tied hoochie? It looks like what is on the back hook of a koke-a-nut. I tie my own Koke flies and am inspired by your tie!

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
What is the little pink/orange think in the skirt of your home tied hoochie? It looks like what is on the back hook of a koke-a-nut. I tie my own Koke flies and am inspired by your tie!
They are 4mm pink plastic beads slid onto a piece of monofilament with a knot tied on the end then coated with uv resin and cured with the light.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
We had the pleasure of meeting LEO and survived a boat safety check today.

The magical hour in the morning has been pretty good to me. Unfortunately it involves getting up at 1:30am in order to be there for it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

The magical hour in the morning has been pretty good to me. Unfortunately it involves getting up at 1:30am in order to be there for it.
I'm not sure the author of this thread is the same Fred @Wanative that I know as the times we've fished together- he's not a morning person but claims he picked his buddy up at 2:30 AM. Well done, Fred!!

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

I'm not sure My boat would pass.
I have PFD's for each person
Fire extinguisher
Whistle and airhorn
What am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: NRC