Diamond Lake

Oh hey, it’s you guys again! How’s it going?

5 weeks in Southern Oregon and I finally had time to wet a line. I pulled the drift boat up to Diamond Lake despite a less than favorable forecast and I was handsomely rewarded.

I got a few rainbows right off the bat that were just fine, nothing huge, but very fun.

IMG_0019.jpegIMG_0021.jpegIMG_0026.jpeg

As I was messing around with them, I heard, shall we say, a commotion towards the shore. My assumption was that someone had thrown a stick and a large dog jumped in after it. I looked and there was no human or dog to be seen. Then I saw a brown thrash around in the shallows maybe 10 feet off the shoreline that was just absolutely massive. Okay, very interesting. I keep looking in that area. Okay, there are some BIG fish right there. I swear I saw one jump after a low flying bird. It might have been a coincidence, but a huge brown came flying out of the water, right at a bird.

So naturally I row over there. I go from blind casting to rainbows to sight casting these enormous browns and tigers in 1-2 feet of water. Good lord.

I only managed two browns. I was very happy with the first. The second…. I’ll probably never catch another brown of that caliber in my life. As usual, the pics don’t do it justice and I was alone so I was taking them myself. It was 22-24” and just fat and enormous. I couldn’t believe it.

IMG_0033.jpegIMG_0036.jpegIMG_0038.jpegIMG_0039.jpeg

The fly of choice was, of course, a black drunk male prostitute.

Those diamond lake browns are no joke

Zak

Legend
Oh hey, it’s you guys again! How’s it going?

5 weeks in Southern Oregon and I finally had time to wet a line. I pulled the drift boat up to Diamond Lake despite a less than favorable forecast and I was handsomely rewarded.

I got a few rainbows right off the bat that were just fine, nothing huge, but very fun.

View attachment 89219View attachment 89220View attachment 89221

As I was messing around with them, I heard, shall we say, a commotion towards the shore. My assumption was that someone had thrown a stick and a large dog jumped in after it. I looked and there was no human or dog to be seen. Then I saw a brown thrash around in the shallows maybe 10 feet off the shoreline that was just absolutely massive. Okay, very interesting. I keep looking in that area. Okay, there are some BIG fish right there. I swear I saw one jump after a low flying bird. It might have been a coincidence, but a huge brown came flying out of the water, right at a bird.

So naturally I row over there. I go from blind casting to rainbows to sight casting these enormous browns and tigers in 1-2 feet of water. Good lord.

I only managed two browns. I was very happy with the first. The second…. I’ll probably never catch another brown of that caliber in my life. As usual, the pics don’t do it justice and I was alone so I was taking them myself. It was 22-24” and just fat and enormous. I couldn’t believe it.

View attachment 89223View attachment 89224View attachment 89225View attachment 89226

The fly of choice was, of course, a black drunk male prostitute.

Those diamond lake browns are no joke
Wow, what a beautiful brown!

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Awesome brown trout!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The only reason you caught them was because your daughter wasn’t there to catch them herself.

But damn, those are cool. And I totally get the trying to take a picture by yourself of a pig. Show us the fly!

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
The only reason you caught them was because your daughter wasn’t there to catch them herself.

But damn, those are cool. And I totally get the trying to take a picture by yourself of a pig. Show us the fly!
No kidding, even SHE was impressed!

I’ll try to snap a picture tomorrow. It’s just rabbit strip with a sparky long chenille type body, and then you wrap the rabbit at the cone. Or something. Just some goofy generic leech I tie

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
WOW, amazing browns, AWESOME and jealous. Well done!! I haven't fished Diamond Lake since my days in K'Falls, perhaps it's time to do so again.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
In a word . . . WOW!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I knew Diamond held large rainbow but had no idea there are also big browns in the lake. Thanks for the report.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I knew Diamond held large rainbow but had no idea there are also big browns in the lake. Thanks for the report.
I think the browns and tigers were introduced to combat the introduced tui chubs.

(Man’s insights and logic at work)