Dept. of Ecology declares drought emergency for most of Washington state

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Statewide, the snowpack currently stands at 68% of average, with some areas in the Olympic Mountains, Lower Yakima and north Puget Sound with significantly lower levels. Stream flows in many basins are already below 75% of normal, according to Ecology. Chelan River stream flows are expected to be 52% of normal, and the Stehekin, Methow and Okanagan rivers are forecasted to have 59% of normal stream flows.

Ugh.

I mean, I think most of us saw this coming after the winter we had. But still, a huge bummer.

The worst part is, next comes the fires.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.37.58 PM.png

This is snowpack percentage of normal.

These are not good numbers.

RCF

Life of the Party
With the reduced flows in rivers, water will be warmer. Could easily affect fishing. Plan accordingly....

Divad

Whitefish
🤞 we get rain throughout this summer and some more sustained dumps this spring.

Also 🙏 ree-rees don't start fires and electrical companies proactively fix known issues.

RCF

Life of the Party
Last time I saw 'hoot owl' restrictions in Washington State was about 10 years ago, if memory serves me correctly.

I hope they get considered and implemented if/when conditions warrant. As much as dislike them, I am all for them to protect our fisheries...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’m hope we shift to La Niña and end up with one of those cool summers. Morning marine layers, some rain and temps rarely in the 80°.
SF

RCF

Life of the Party
Ugh.

I mean, I think most of us saw this coming after the winter we had. But still, a huge bummer.

The worst part is, next comes the fires.

Thank you for posting the important section from the article. I learned something and will try to do that in the future.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
We’ve been in a water deficit since 2015. There have been some good years and lot of average or lean years. The aquifers can’t catch up, and low flows are getting lower and lower.

RCF

Life of the Party
It will be very interesting to watch what transpires and how it affects our travels both in-state and beyond. The impacts will be determined week to week. Flexibility will be the key to enjoy our favorite part-time ---> fishing.

I have been on Rock Creek when just a couple of miles separated us from the fires and quick evacuation. Unnerving to say the least.

Please stay safe. Live within your comfort zone and medical restrictions.

God bless our first responders and fire fighters! They deserve so much more....

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Let’s not equate drought and wildfire risk, though. They are related, but there’s so much more that goes into wildfire risk beyond a statewide drought status.
That being said, it does look like some areas got a good flush of early growth which is going to likely dry out. In some cases it already seems to be. It’s abnormally dry for sure. Hopefully temperatures don’t get too warm, too soon.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Let’s not equate drought and wildfire risk, though. They are related, but there’s so much more that goes into wildfire risk beyond a statewide drought status.
True, there is more that goes into it. The biggest one has to be human stupidity with fireworks/cigarettes/campfires/etc. But drought is a big driver on its own

If there's less soil moisture plants/trees dry up and often die more frequently. That becomes fuel for fire. And with more of that fuel, fires burn and move much faster. If water sources are lower from fire, that makes finding water to fight a fire more difficult and time consuming. Drought conditions can cause an increase in lightning, which can start wildfires. Though I'm not sure if that applies in our area or not. But it's a thing elsewhere, or so I've read.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
True, there is more that goes into it. The biggest one has to be human stupidity with fireworks/cigarettes/campfires/etc. But drought is a big driver on its own

If there's less soil moisture plants/trees dry up and often die more frequently. That becomes fuel for fire. And with more of that fuel, fires burn and move much faster. If water sources are lower from fire, that makes finding water to fight a fire more difficult and time consuming. Drought conditions can cause an increase in lightning, which can start wildfires. Though I'm not sure if that applies in our area or not. But it's a thing elsewhere, or so I've read.
The biggest driver of scary wildfire conditions on the west side of the Cascades is actually none of the above, but wind.

The most frequent source of ignition is people.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The fire that destroyed the forest on the North Umpqua was caused by the power company not checking their power lines after a windstorm. Cost nearly every home on the river.