Decorated some streamside trees for Christmas

My first winter steelhead day didn't go so well. I think I left 4 'ornaments' in trees on both sides of the river, and broke off another in a tailout. My 13' Spey rod can really toss em on a small river, I'll have to figure out how to keep that under control! And keeping the upstream flip out of the near side trees.. Some beautiful, emerald water under bright skies made for a nice day none the less

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
My first winter steelhead day didn't go so well. I think I left 4 'ornaments' in trees on both sides of the river, and broke off another in a tailout. My 13' Spey rod can really toss em on a small river, I'll have to figure out how to keep that under control! And keeping the upstream flip out of the near side trees.. Some beautiful, emerald water under bright skies made for a nice day none the less
that's why an 11' 8wt Beulah switch took the place of my 13' 7 wt Deer Creer winter steel rod..what 2' shorter can do in tight quarters...wasn't as smooth to cast however

that's why an 11' 8wt Beulah switch took the place of my 13' 7 wt Deer Creer winter steel rod..what 2' shorter can do in tight quarters...wasn't as smooth to cast however
Yes, I can understand why some recommended a switch rod. I was swayed toward the 13 footer due to being a new caster. I'll figure out how to make it work. I also have a 9' 7wt that I'll be bringing as well

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes, I can understand why some recommended a switch rod. I was swayed toward the 13 footer due to being a new caster. I'll figure out how to make it work. I also have a 9' 7wt that I'll be bringing as well
during the years we made multi day steelhead floats on the Big D, a 10' 7 wt Powell was my go to...to this day have not cast a sweeter rod in that weight. Such a difference, however, between hooking up on the swing of a sink tip with articulated leech through a smooth glide vs a nabbed Intruder in a deep seam within the narrow canyon of a rushing coastal river...the former a sparring match, the latter a cage fight...

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you have your back to the stream side brush, place your anchor out to result in a shallower D loop. Slow down so that you don’t blow the anchor and decorate the trees. The term “slow down” is overused but the goal is for your fly to leave the water at the right moment in the forward cast is. Takes practice and observation. I routinely cast a 13 ft 6 weight Meiser for steelhead and know when I’m not paying attention when my fly ends up in the brush.

Last edited: