December bass? Can it be done?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Heck yeah! What were water temps? Also can we get a sbs or materials on that fly? 🤔

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
and they were down deep I'm guessin?

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Heck yeah! What were water temps? Also can we get a sbs or materials on that fly? 🤔
Thats a @Sir Homey tie. Maybe he can give it a run down. I didn't get a water temp, but in the spring I had a good day there when air temps were in the 40s so I figured I give it a go.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Well done!

Back in my bass fishing days I use to target them year-round (with gear) and for largemouth I had my most consistent winter success (catch rates were almost always slow) fishing shallow lakes focusing on shallow cover (in 2 to 8 feet of water). Tried to fish after several days of stable weather and mostly in the late morning/early afternoon.

For smallmouth quickly learned as temperatures dropped into the lower 40s they went deep. They can be caught and at times in pretty good numbers, but I quickly ended winter fishing for them due to barotrauma to the fish caught. However with the first nice days of late winter (often in February here in western Washington) there would be slight water temperature increases the fish would begin moving shallower though typically in 15 to 20 feet of water. However some fish could be found (certainly by March) in shallow water (2 to 6 feet) usually tight to large structure items (logs, trees, large rocks, dock piers, etc. Again mid-day was better than early or late.

Curt

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Rootbeer EP sparkle brush over white marabou and some Krystal flash. An easy tie. Glad to see at least my flies are catching some bass 😬

Oh and several wire wraps for weight
I came into ownership of one of these ties and can confirm that although I did not catch any bass on it when I fished it during warmer weather (when poppers worked, at least somewhat), it sort of suspends and sinks quite slowly, and looks great in the water with tons of material movement. It looks an awful lot like a small sunfish.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Can confirm that not just anybody can replicate @Squatchin ’s feats. I tried his pond yesterday for a few hours and hooked one, felt good sized, and lost it. It was rainy and chilly and probably better any other day this week but one must fish when one can, lest one never fish!