Day Pack's While Fishing?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What do ya'll do for day packs while fishing? I feel like I've run the gamut and still not really happy. I'm beginning to think it may be a combination of packs. But to be honest, I kinda hate that idea because it means moving boxes, tippet, tools etc and will definitely leave room for forgetting stuff at home.

I started with a sling pack, and I hated it. Nothing is really accessible, it feels awkward and it's basically just one big pocket.
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 5.29.43 PM.png

I then graduated to a chest pack/backpack combo. And for awhile this worked well. It was hydration compatible (bonus for the dry side!) and anything I couldn't fit up front, I could fit in the back. A couple things I didn't like: the built in tippet holder was annoying when I was stripping streamers. I like to hold the butt up to my chest and strip and I was constantly pulling tippet out of the tenders. The other con was there was no real net holder, just a D clip on the backpack that you had to hang your net with a magnet and bungee. This was super not great for bushwacking as the net always got caught and I just generally hate the dangly net. One slight con but not a deal breaker was the chest pack was slightly too small It could tightly fit two boxes, but not a big streamer box (but they make a bigger one!).

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 5.33.48 PM.png

Next was the lumbar pack. Theoretically it had everything: pocket dividers, the space, the tippet was out of the way ;), etc etc. But what I didn't realize was A. How much I used and needed the hydration compatibility for anything over 2 hours. For the dozen or so trips I took out with this, I ALWAYS came home dehydrated and with a pounding headache. Not good! It also hurt my lower back. With that being said, I REALLY liked the slider aspect of it--it could easily swing from the back to the front without loosening the strap.

A wild card pack I used everyday this week was just an everyday Mystery Ranch Fanny Pack. It kept the few things I needed for 2-3 hour wade sessions in the morning and at night and didn't get in the way. It was easy to grab and go and not feel cumbersome. What it didn't do was hold a net well (I just stuffed it between the strap and my back but it was awkward and always falling). I could fix that by getting a fishpond net holder that will just attach to the straps. It also really didnt carry that much and to get to it, you had to either loosen the straps or unbuckle it altogether.
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.51.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.51.59 PM.png

I wish I could go the backpack route, but when I'm trout fishing, I change flies so often it gets annoying having to flip my bag around to the front and I don't like I having my front wader pocket weighed down with shit.

SO. What say you? How do you carry your gear when out for a day of wading?
@oldman I know, I know, we're making this too complicated and all you probably do is take your Altoid tin of flys, your canteen, cut off shorts and call it good on your skinny water. But this is a fishing forum, so what else is there to talk about other than fishing?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 6.24.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 6.24.35 PM.png
    666.8 KB · Views: 14

G_Smolt

Legend
Simms flyweight fishing backpack.

Slightly different than fishing in the l48, but when I get off the road system I carry things I need for an "accidental overnight" or a survival situation. The simms backpack is super lightweight, waterproof, thoughtfully designed to be nearly imperceptible while fishing, and big enough to carry all manner of things a fella might need for an unscheduled delay.

Everything else (read: all my fishin' shit) goes in a Simms dry creek waist pack

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Slightly different than fishing in the l48, but when I get off the road system I carry things I need for an "accidental overnight" or a survival situation. The simms backpack is super lightweight, waterproof, thoughtfully designed to be early imperceptible while fishing, and big enough to carry all manner of things a fella might need for foray unscheduled delay.

Everything else (read: all my fishin' shit) goes in a Simms dry creek waist pack

Makes total sense in your situation.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Well many vests have zippered pouches in the back that easily hold water bladders...my 30 year old vest does.
Hydration compatible... meaning it can carry water I am assuming...fancy way of saying that.
Do they refer to zippered waders as having 'elimination portals'

Lol

majpreal

Steelhead
I've been using an older version of the Patagonia Hybrid vest for years. When I'm spending a day wading on the river, I need the hydration pack and it's designed for that. Vest type setup in front, hydration pack in the back. Not for everyone but has served me well.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

Slightly different than fishing in the l48, but when I get off the road system I carry things I need for an "accidental overnight" or a survival situation. The simms backpack is super lightweight, waterproof, thoughtfully designed to be early imperceptible while fishing, and big enough to carry all manner of things a fella might need for foray unscheduled delay.

Do you use them both at the same time? I’ve tried that with my Simms ”half day” backpack and Patagonia hip pack aka fancy Fanny pack and the backpack was always pushing down on the hip pack. Didn’t really work for me.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I feel your frustration and am in the same boat. I’ve run the gamut from vest to chest pack to sling pack to another sling pack to another cooler vest to now a fish pond waist pack. They all are a pain in one way or another.

The one I hated most was the chest pack. I can’t stand not being able to look down and see my reel when stripping line. And forget about Spey casting with one.

Sling packs end up rubbing on my neck and yeah you have to slide them around to access the contents, which means that hanging a net off the back is a no go, total cluster.

Right now I’m using a fish pond waist pack that has a sliding pack unit on a stiff beefy belt. I think it’s the one in your photo attachment, but I took the shoulder strap off as it rubbed my neck like a sling pack does. It works ok, has a net holster, and I can hang a water bottle or can of bear spray on the side opposite the pack module. But it flips around a bit when walking and I do like having nippers up at chest height. And it doesn’t hold a whole lot of gear- one fly box max.

My by far favorite set up is colder weather just using my Simms wading jacket loaded with the gear I need. But that doesn’t really work for summer trout fishing :)

I’m anxious to hear more from others on this one!

Andy

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Patagonia sling pack if it's just a quick trip somewhere. (good: fishing specific design - bad: slings are a hassle)
Osprey daypack if it's a longer one. (good: comfortable and holds plenty - bad: not fishing specific)
Old Orvis waterproof backpack for winter fishing (good: tough, waterproof - bad: virtually zero organization)

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I wish I could go the backpack route, but when I'm trout fishing, I change flies so often it gets annoying having to flip my bag around to the front and I don't like I having my front wader pocket weighed down with shit.

SO. What say you? How do you carry your gear when out for a day of wading?

you could try not changing flies so much? just kidding....that's a dumb suggestion.

I still go through this frequently and have settled on several things. Patagonia waterproof sling pack for winter steelheading or other fishing where I'm getting rained on (I too HATE the one big cavernous pocket though).

I have the middle size Orvis sling for a lot of smaller outings (where I'm not going to be away from the car all day) and find it to be just the right amount of space with just enough dividers and just easy enough to keep out of the way for those outings where I'm only away from my car/cooler for less than 4 hours.

For longer treks (like a multi hour hike above locked gate on the D) where I'm away from the car for 4+ hours, I've always gone the backpack route. I actually just got the Orvis Bug Out backpack (after checking out and trying on both the Fishpond and the Simms lightweight). I absolutely love how many little compartments there are and I can remove one strap and slide it down like a sling and have easy access to specific things due to the side zipper. Enough room for a lot of water, a few beers, tons of fishing gear, etc. There's also a net pocket (if you don't feel like using the magnetic method), which I'm unlikely to use since my nets are all short handled but it's still a nice feature. I'll be putting it through its paces over the next couple of days. to really get a feel for how to best organize things. I don't feel like this pack will be too big, but we'll see.

Oh, when I do have to wear waders for trout fishing, I put together one smaller (thin) box with the majority of patterns I know I'll go through so that it doesn't do exactly as you describe in weighing down the front.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm just most comfortable in a vest. Started with a creel as a kid, then got a vest. And I wore a loaded vest all day as a land surveyor, so It feels natural to me. A vest in no way aggravates my neck or back injuries either.
Fishing stuff handy in front, lots of inside pockets for tippets, thermo, ect. too.
20220730_100618[1].jpg
and needs for the day in back. Nothing refuels like squished PB&J and some nuts and raisins as well.
20220730_100418[1].jpg

Bajema

Life of the Party
From a hydration standpoint, I just take a Lifestraw when I’m out fishing streams. I figure since I’m literally standing in water, no need to bring my own.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a tiny Simms waist pack that I only use when wet wading, which has become a trout-only activity, and not too common as of late.

I pride myself on being able to stash everything I need in my winter waders with the exception of beers because my buddies can carry those :oops::LOL:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Its not the style of pack that's the problem.....stop bringing sooo much stuff for a few hours of fishing on the same water and same species.

K.I.S.S.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice to know im not the only one with a plastic bin of fish purses.

Otter

Steelhead
For longer treks (like a multi hour hike above locked gate on the D) where I'm away from the car for 4+ hours, I've always gone the backpack route. I actually just got the Orvis Bug Out backpack (after checking out and trying on both the Fishpond and the Simms lightweight). I absolutely love how many little compartments there are and I can remove one strap and slide it down like a sling and have easy access to specific things due to the side zipper. Enough room for a lot of water, a few beers, tons of fishing gear, etc. There's also a net pocket (if you don't feel like using the magnetic method), which I'm unlikely to use since my nets are all short handled but it's still a nice feature. I'll be putting it through its paces over the next couple of days. to really get a feel for how to best organize things. I don't feel like this pack will be too big, but we'll see.
I like the looks of that one.

I usually fish all day on the river, some distance from my vehicle, and carry stuff that prepares me for changing conditions and various risks (fist aid kit, food, fleece vest and toque, ultra compact bivy sack, TP, fire starter, Lifestraw water filter, etc.). (I might replace the Lifestraw with one of those new water bottles with a built-in filter, like the Katadyn BeFree).

To carry all this, I use an Orvis Hydros Strap Vest. (now appears to be discontinued)
It's got a lot of pockets in front and inside. On the back, it's got a full-width full-depth pocket, plus a smaller pocket. It's also got 2 water bottle holders. This vest is very comfortable.
If the weather is cold, I'll wear a Simms Guide jacket under this vest. This is the original one, with large back pocket and large chest pockets, so I can stuff more cold weather spare clothes and food in there.
Here's my Orvis vest. Sorry for the non-English website; it's the only one I can find that shows both front and back: