Daughter's Personal Best Trout

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
My oldest just finished up her sophomore year at the university. She's been so busy the last couple years that she has been unable to trout fish.

Finally, she gave me the green light "Let's go fish, dad". Man, what an honour...I couldn't wait. Plus, I was gonna surprise her by letting her fish bamboo.

It was just a daytrip, so not too difficult to plan....a couple camp chairs and sandwiches with snacks to break up the fishing sessions. I kinda mosey to the big trout river..."late starts" are fine by me.

On the drive over, Emma (19) set the tone with her current playlist of Nirvana, the Pixies, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Cream, Oasis, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, the Ramones and....Jim Croce...okay. Not your typical trout fishing warmup tunes (or maybe it is) but it sounded somewhat familiar to the 46yo dad ears.

The river was in fine shape but I could tell the majority of the trout weren't ready to gorge on fat chezburgers quite yet...but all we need are a few early patrons to check out the flying buffet.
DSC_1275.JPG

And we found a few fish to keep my daughter engaged.
20230525_142811.jpg

The best one came after lunch and a nap break: I says, "I got a spot...it's tough casting, but all you gotta do is get your fly out there a few feet"...she was game. She always is.

It was a high bank and her first cast caught the reeds. Her second cast - the afternoon gusts blew way off target. I encouraged her "you see where the little bits of foam start to float downstream? Try to get your fly to land near there". Her third cast kinda landed in the general area...I kept the pep talk up and was about to tell her to recast when a dark mass materialised from the depths.

With a smooth sip the big trout ate the stonefly imitation like a mayfly and I yelled "Set!Set!Set!". The bamboo rod instantly tacoed as the fish freight-trained out of the soft water and into the main current.
20230525_181128.jpg
We were all laughs and giggles. At one point, Emma said "I can't get this fish in. Do you wanna try?" Of course my answer was "no way".

DSC_1311.JPG
She landed her personal best trout on her first time fishing a bamboo rod. What a great memory.
DSC_1305.jpg
The picture diminishes the girth and length of the fish (her left hand covers up the length but you can see a tip of the tail). It was a biggish trout.

20230525_181516.jpg
Till next time...

Cheers and Blessings!

Attachments

• DSC_1306.JPG
    DSC_1306.JPG
    728.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Smalma

Life of the Party
Well done Emma and a big kudo to her Dad.

Some of my fonds fish memories are days "guiding" a kid or two to fish where I never wetted a line!

Curt

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of my best memories is a family picnic on a small blue line in NE California where my wife and two daughters were visiting me when I was working away from home in a beautiful part of the state. We spent the day at a nearby lake and stopped at a turnout and walked down to an outlet creek where we had a picnic lunch. After lunch we noticed a couple rises in the creek and youngest, about 10 at the time, said “let’s catch one”. I rigged up a grasshoppers on a 4 weight and we walked upstream looking for fishy spots. In a pool with a down log laying off the bank we spotted a fish laying along and under the log in a foot of water. I told her to make the cast, less than 30’ and to my surprise she nailed it perfectly; a foot outside and 3’ above the fish. The trout attacked it, she hooked and played it in and we released it wet; a perfect 10” Pit Redband. It was a great moment. Nothing better.

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
I want to hear more about the bamboo rod. You make it or buy it? What weight line?
Dave, this was a gifted rod and reel from a generous friend through a Fly Fishing Collaborative auction: it's a J.M Brandt 5wt (unfortunately, I lost the specs on the rod and all that is scribed on the rod is "J.M Brandt no. 551") matched with a modern Hardy Bouglé
DSC_0112.JPG
DSC_0574(1).JPG
I don't know much about the rod builder except that he used to live in Oregon and designed the rod for the Deschutes River canyon "breezes" in mind. It's a powerful 5 with a progressive action. The builder enjoys a WF line with this taper. Aesthetically, it's a pretty rod with translucent wraps, an agate linestripper, and a beauty of a wood reel seat (I wish I knew my woods but I'm sure someone on here can identify those markings)
Excellent job dad and Emma! Is that a Clark’s Stonefly that she caught the fish on?
Good eye...it is the venerable Clark’s Stonefly but his female version the Clark's Lady Stone (an addition of golden pheasant tippet fibers as a tail to represent an egg sac ready to drop) ...caviar anyone?

@Robert Engleheart I enjoyed reading your story...a fantastic memory and thanks for bringing us to that moment of joy.

Cheers.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dave, this was a gifted rod and reel from a generous friend through a Fly Fishing Collaborative auction: it's a J.M Brandt 5wt (unfortunately, I lost the specs on the rod and all that is scribed on the rod is "J.M Brandt no. 551") matched with a modern Hardy Bouglé
View attachment 67088
View attachment 67091
I don't know much about the rod builder except that he used to live in Oregon and designed the rod for the Deschutes River canyon "breezes" in mind. It's a powerful 5 with a progressive action. The builder enjoys a WF line with this taper. Aesthetically, it's a pretty rod with translucent wraps, an agate linestripper, and a beauty of a wood reel seat (I wish I knew my woods but I'm sure someone on here can identify those markings)

Good eye...it is the venerable Clark’s Stonefly but his female version the Clark's Lady Stone (an addition of golden pheasant tippet fibers as a tail to represent an egg sac ready to drop) ...caviar anyone?

@Robert Engleheart I enjoyed reading your story...a fantastic memory and thanks for bringing us to that moment of joy.

Cheers.

I sell wood for a living. Wood is my life lol. It's hard to tell once you throw a finish on it, and with a small sampling of wild grain. And pictures make it harder to tell. Could be a mahogany or sapele, although too light for sapele probably. Has a golden hue like Koa, maybe. Could be in the rosewood family, cocobolo maybe.
Tough one.