Darn tough socks

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
If you're looking for lower prices on Darn Tough, try GovX. You need to be active duty, a veteran, firefighter or former, emt or former, Leo or former, and one or two others I've forgotten, to join. But they have Darn Tough sales about every 6 months.
And yeah, they are great socks.

Personally I wear light to mid weight merino wool socks by RedHead from 35 -70 degrees. Great all around sock and they last a while in work boots.

Anything above 70 I switch to a high bulk synthetic that's designed to keep your feet cushioned and cool. Below 35, I switch to a heavier weight wool blend designed for hiking. In steel toed work boots, nice and toasty.

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Worth mentioning, a midweight boot sock at that thickness has odds of outlasting its owner, simply given the fabric weight and also the lower level of activity relative to those that call for a thinner version. Light and ultralight ones wear out regularly when used as intended (runner/biker), regarless of the maker. From having worn nearly all of them, DT is certainly among the best but I can't say any better than Swiftwick, Smartwool PhD and several others.

There's also a good handful of cycling oriented makers with impressive products given those demands. Probably the most interesting/recommended at present is the Chrome Industries Merino. For an even $20 they managed to create a sock that feels like a traditional woolie (sans the itch), goes on and off like butter, stays 100% put regardless of activity, and has above average longevity. First and only to date, so that's been my cold weather goto both on the bike and water. Again, not a midweight boot sock, stick with the DT for that.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There are many good socks. I also use smart wool and love them. My wife got me a couple pairs of low cut bombas and love the extra cushion on the backed of the anklet type socks. Perfect for my tennis shoe days. Although a bit to colorful patterned. Smart wool, bombas, darn tough, etc are all great socks. But it’s so easy to buy a Costco 6 pack of Adidas or some other brand for 8 bucks and throw them out later, they work fine until you notice the thinning holes starting.

Reactions: Zak

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Socks need to be white whike wearing flip flops in Summer...
But not after Labor Day.
:)
Indeed...white knee high socks, set off to best advantage by plaid bermuda shorts and pelvic pouch (AKA a 'male chastity belt' or 'fanny-pack'). Knobby birdlike knees with varicose veins and rakishly canted 'trucker' ball-cap with 'World's Best Grandpa' logo are optional, but highly recommended as well.

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
A 'wife beater' t shirt and a Camo ball cap, with a 'Lite' beer of some sort for a change of pace...along with suitably sunburnt flesh, a crimson red color
;)

download (8).jpeg