Crossing/Entering Railroad property along Rivers?

Chadk

Life of the Party
Tracks are most dangerous when more than one set is present. The first one passes and you don't hear or see the second one.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been questioned by Oregon State Patrol about walking on a RR bridge. I was actually jogging in my waders occifer!

Sadly, the RR private property (kinda like senior water rights) seemed like a good idea long ago when the system was set up. Now it's super awkward but difficult to change.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Many years ago I was hiking up the railroad tracks on the Salmonberry River. A "car on rails" owned by the SP came down the tracks and the guy yelled at me that I was trespassing, but I was not on the tracks, I was at the riverside. He "knew" that I had to have walked the tracks to get there. He yelled at me to come up to the tracks so I could write him a ticket, and I replied something about an anatomically impossible move. He finally gave up and drove off. He was a fat oaf and it was too much trouble for him to hike 100 yards down the hill to where I was. The thing was, that line saw a single train per week, loaded with lumber from Tillamook, so safety wasn't the issue. That rail line was later destroyed in a flood, too bad.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just to add to the popcorn munching.
My son and I were pheasant hunting out southeast of Moses Lake.
We stopped to ask permission to hunt some private property and got permission.
The land owner told us to stay off the old railroad cause it had become a historical byway / national park property.
Trespassing on National park with a firearm, big time, jail time.
Rail roads are Fed. property,

5 Weight

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In 2014 a crew was filming a movie about Greg Allman with a scene set up on a narrow railroad trestle. The production company had been denied permission to film on railroad property. The scene (dream sequence)was set up with a bed straddled across the tracks with the star William Hurt in the bed as Greg Allman. Along came a train at 58 mph and the crew scattered including Hurt who barely made it off the tracks on time. A female camera woman tragically did not make it. Needless to say it was the end of the director's career. The video available on the internet is shocking.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Many years ago I was hiking up the railroad tracks on the Salmonberry River. A "car on rails" owned by the SP came down the tracks and the guy yelled at me that I was trespassing, but I was not on the tracks, I was at the riverside. He "knew" that I had to have walked the tracks to get there. He yelled at me to come up to the tracks so I could write him a ticket, and I replied something about an anatomically impossible move. He finally gave up and drove off. He was a fat oaf and it was too much trouble for him to hike 100 yards down the hill to where I was. The thing was, that line saw a single train per week, loaded with lumber from Tillamook, so safety wasn't the issue. That rail line was later destroyed in a flood, too bad.
Does that house on the other side of the river have special access rights? They have the cable lines running across the river right to the tracks.Since the tracks are defunct now I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
In the heat of the day down in Mobile Alabama
Working on the railroad with the steel driving hammer

I gotta get some money to buy some brand new shoes

Tryin' to find somebody to take away these blues

"She don't love me" hear them singing in the sun
Payday's coming and my work is all done
Well, in the evening when the sun is sinking low
All day I been waiting for the whistle to blow
Sitting in a tee pee built right on the tracks
Rolling them bones until the foreman comes back

Pick up you belongings boys and scatter about
We've got an off-schedule train comin' two miles out

Everybody's scrambling, running around
Picking up their money, tearing the tee pee down
Foreman wants to panic, 'bout to go insane
Trying to get the workers out the way of the train
Engineer blows the whistle loud and long
Can't stop the train, have to let it roll on

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Chuck Berry / E Anderson
Rocking on the Railroad lyrics © BMG Rights Management, Entertainment One U.S. Lp

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
In 2014 a crew was filming a movie about Greg Allman with a scene set up on a narrow railroad trestle. The production company had been denied permission to film on railroad property. The scene (dream sequence)was set up with a bed straddled across the tracks with the star William Hurt in the bed as Greg Allman. Along came a train at 58 mph and the crew scattered including Hurt who barely made it off the tracks on time. A female camera woman tragically did not make it. Needless to say it was the end of the director's career. The video available on the internet is shocking.
Excellent post! The fore mentioned tragedy is exactly why the railroads don't allow trespassing. Even though CSX refused to grant permission to the film crew, they did it anyway. As a result, the family of the deceased young assistant camera person was able to get jury verdicts from CSX for 3.9 million, and even Rayonier LP for several million, because Rayonier had freight on board.
Everytime we think about being oppressed by the man, remember, in most cases , it was some asshole that ruined it for the rest of us

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A minor flyfishing related thread hijack...

I met WIlliam Hurt one evening... we were both flyfishing at the Black Butte Ranch trout pond. Had a nice chat about flyfishing. He was there with his kids and was headed to the McKenzie, I recall. Hooked and landed a nighthawk on a dry fly that evening too.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
A minor flyfishing related thread hijack...

I met WIlliam Hurt one evening... we were both flyfishing at the Black Butte Ranch trout pond. Had a nice chat about flyfishing. He was there with his kids and was headed to the McKenzie, I recall. Hooked and landed a nighthawk on a dry fly that evening too.
He died too young...a real shame.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Tracks are most dangerous when more than one set is present. The first one passes and you don't hear or see the second one.
No kidding. I knew a guy in Tacoma who got killed that exact same way about a decade ago

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't go out of my way to violate the law. So I never looked into the legal ramifications regarding RR tracks. I cross RR tracks the same way I cross the road. I look both ways to make sure the way is clear, and then I walk across. That seems to work just fine.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I guess I'm guilty, as far as I've been concerned railroads and fishing highways, what with them paralleling all the f'n rivers in the state. I actually have a gripe with them, at 6'3 my strides are in between the ties. I go on a tie, off a tie, on a tie, off a tie. I've written letters to no avail trying to have them spaced more appropriately for my stride.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I guess I'm guilty, as far as I've been concerned railroads and fishing highways, what with them paralleling all the f'n rivers in the state. I actually have a gripe with them, at 6'3 my strides are in between the ties. I go on a tie, off a tie, on a tie, off a tie. I've written letters to no avail trying to have them spaced more appropriately for my stride.
In this ever inclusive and equitable quagmire we now live, you’d think they’d jump right on this…^^^…!!! 😉

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
For that matter, it’d be considerate if they could leave some of these around for us to use.
1712260592689.gif