NFR crazy....

Non-fishing related

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I totally trust the FDA and the various megacorps bringing me healthful and delicious foods right to my local grocery store as well as medicines to live better through chemistry. Why? Because we have an excellent system of checks and balances where regulators are in no way influenced by megacorp industries. This unbiased government regulation industry is infallible. I believe what they tell me and so should you cause they have never got it wrong.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think the increased rates of colon cancer will be tied to one of these forever chemicals...

It's almost as if the good people a Bayer make out on both ends? I dunno.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I totally trust the FDA and the various megacorps bringing me healthful and delicious foods right to my local grocery store as well as medicines to live better through chemistry. Why? Because we have an excellent system of checks and balances where regulators are in no way influenced by megacorp industries. This unbiased government regulation industry is infallible. I believe what they tell me and so should you cause they have never got it wrong.
60% of big pharma regulators put 20 in working for their government pension, then shift over to big pharma for the big paychecks, helping their new employer circumvent the very regulations they were formerly employed to impose.

Healthcare and big pharma - so important to our quality of life, and so subject to being corrupted due to the enormous profit potentials.
During the two decades I was involved in hospital accreditation (The Joint Commission), the infection rates, readmission rates and death rates were always higher at for-profits, as was the per centage of unnecessary surgeries, the Tenet for-profit hospital chain cross the country always among the worse:

"On the 30th of October the FBI raided Tenet's Redding Hospital in California, alleing two cardiac doctors had carried out large numbers of cardiac procedures that were neither indicated, nor necessary, some on patients with normal heart, performing hundreds of unnecessary heart operations. The raid was followed by the exposure of the outlier scam in which a loophole was used to charge far more for sicker patients. Because of this loophole Tenet had changed its policies. It was specifically targeting major surgery and sicker patients at the expense of conditions which paid less well."

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not only that, if your oatmeal is exposed to higher-than-normal heat, you will find some winged critters hatching out. Thank goodness Bob's Red Mill is not far from me. No guarentee.....
Bob's our morning breakfast...willing to gamble those good folks keeping it above board.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
"Big Pharma" has no interest in chlormequat. It is an agriculture petrochemical from the 1950s. It has no reported link to colon cancer. At high concentration it can affect fetal growth in mammal toxicity models. At most it seems to be a fertility risk for pregnant women who overly indulge in oat products.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
60% of big pharma regulators put 20 in working for their government pension, then shift over to big pharma for the big paychecks, helping their new employer circumvent the very regulations they were formerly employed to impose.

Healthcare and big pharma - so important to our quality of life, and so subject to being corrupted due to the enormous profit potentials.
During the two decades I was involved in hospital accreditation (The Joint Commission), the infection rates, readmission rates and death rates were always higher at for-profits, as was the per centage of unnecessary surgeries, the Tenet for-profit hospital chain cross the country always among the worse:

"On the 30th of October the FBI raided Tenet's Redding Hospital in California, alleing two cardiac doctors had carried out large numbers of cardiac procedures that were neither indicated, nor necessary, some on patients with normal heart, performing hundreds of unnecessary heart operations. The raid was followed by the exposure of the outlier scam in which a loophole was used to charge far more for sicker patients. Because of this loophole Tenet had changed its policies. It was specifically targeting major surgery and sicker patients at the expense of conditions which paid less well."

Like I said. Trust the system. It's working well and using your money to do so.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
We're all carrying a heavy bodyload of potentially toxic organics..some from persistent legacy origin, with many others being introduced every year. We don't do much in the way of 'fate and effect' evaluations before new organics hit the market and permeate the enviroment. It's so ubiquitous that we will never have conclusive data regarding their contributions to an individual's illness, longevity (or lack thereof). Horse is long gone from the barn.

Don't worry! Be happy!

RCF

Life of the Party

tkww

Steelhead
Always? Where I live the "non-profit" (and religiously-affiliated) provider was recently fined almost 23 million for this. Well, also for failing to report the two doctors to the authorities, so one them simply moved and set up the same scam in another town.

I'm not saying this as an argument for "for-profit" health care. But I think it's fair to say that "non-profit" doesn't mean what people think it means. It is still all about the profits.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
This may be another case of hysterical American journalism(?) - you have to do some digging to get to original sources, but:

the effects on reproduction in mice were were first observed at 137.5 and 200 mg/kg bw/day - a huge amount not what you would get in any normal dietary intake https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378427419303480?via=ihub and https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378427421002058?via=ihub

In pigs, the grains used in the experiments made up 66% to 78% of the diet at various early life stages - not too many people, especially young folks, have that sort of diet

Also, not sited in the OP "news" link was that several other studies found no effect in mice or pigs (some by the same group that found an effect): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1751731109004030?via=ihub

I don't believe there is any demonstrated link between chlormequat and colorectal cancer.

Not saying that this is something that requires no further investigation, on the contrary, it probably does, just the hysterical headline is not justified.