Crazy Idea or Good Idea?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
After spending thousands of dollars on various lines to achieve what I wanted. I quickly became proficient at modifying lines to fit my needs. Splicing, welding, lap splicing ect. That was along time ago. Strange enough I still do that. After many failed attempts you narrow down what works and then learn why it works.

That is about the time it really starts to get fun and you become a line geek. Sink tips are fair game and there is much experimenting to be done. The one thing I won't sacrifice when experimenting is turn over, and also do I enjoy casting this thing? Sink tips seemed to have got pretty short. Likely has to do with short heads and a vertical presentation with weighted flies. Its effective for sure in the right circumstances. And it can also be limiting at times as well. For a few years I used long tips up to 20ft. Old SA type 4 10wt was the go to. It fished the fly slower and did not hang up as much as one would think. Infact 20ft of t-11 can be awsome for kings on the right river over kill for steelhead. Lots to learn still.
Love the ideas. Thank you!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi Jake, I may have misunderstood, but if the heavy is between the...we'll call it the main line and the lighter section and then fly, the line is going to do this sort of thing.
1694817707486.png

If so, I don't think that would be good. If you're swinging you want as straight as you can get. This is why so many have gone to the 3D lines. You still want to be above the fish, but the line snaking on the rocks would not be good. It seems like you're going to decrease your fishing zone.

Now, if you mean for nymph/bead rigs then I sort of see it? But that doesn't sound like fun.

Again, I might be missing it here. :) What's the ultimate goal?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hi Jake, I may have misunderstood, but if the heavy is between the...we'll call it the main line and the lighter section and then fly, the line is going to do this sort of thing.
View attachment 82238

If so, I don't think that would be good. If you're swinging you want as straight as you can get. This is why so many have gone to the 3D lines. You still want to be above the fish, but the line snaking on the rocks would not be good. It seems like you're going to decrease your fishing zone.

Now, if you mean for nymph/bead rigs then I sort of see it? But that doesn't sound like fun.

Again, I might be missing it here. :) What's the ultimate goal?
The idea, and I tested it out in a small scale with a trout Spey setup yesterday and today, is that the current pushes/grabs the lighter line and hauls it down and you can control the fly depth with rod angle (which controls the amount of heavy line in the water. It actually works quite well—especially in stretches where depth is inconsistent. It's somewhat akin to tight-line nymphing but the fly is weightless and so doesn’t hang up nearly as much as that.

IMG_1579.jpeg

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The idea, and I tested it out in a small scale with a trout Spey setup yesterday and today, is that the current pushes/grabs the lighter line and hauls it down and you can control the fly depth with rod angle (which controls the amount of heavy line in the water. It actually works quite well—especially in stretches where depth is inconsistent. It's somewhat akin to tight-line nymphing but the fly is weightless and so doesn’t hang up nearly as much as that.

View attachment 82240
So are we talking shorter casts then? The depth of the fly will not be under much control from rod angle alone on longer casts. And in good steelhead water, the terminal end, whether tip, leader and/or fly is just as apt to be pushed up by the current as pushed down.

I could see in very particular, smaller water this might be good, but I also am not a big fan of slack in the line. While it's not true slack per se, a belly in the line is still a form of slack. I had one of the old SA Wet Belly lines. 20' sinking tip of type III or IV that was a great steelhead line, but there were definitely times when I was scratching rocks, but could see my fly. I really don't like hanging the line up before the fly. Much easier to tell my depth if the fly is ticking rocks versus the line.

And I also think this is where different hook/fly weights come in. I know you're trying to avoid gear/fly changes though.

The good news is there are so many loop to loop products out there now that you could do this pretty easily and try it out.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know some folks who fish a FIST with a slow sink poly leader and an unweighted leach. They do quite well with it. Not exactly the same thing as this but close...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I know some folks who fish a FIST with a slow sink poly leader and an unweighted leach. They do quite well with it. Not exactly the same thing as this but close...
Thank you. I’ll look into that.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Oh, I wasn't trying to dissuade you from what you are trying to do. It sounds like what they are doing on steroids! Just saying I think you are going down a path that has possibilities.
Dude, no worries. I truly appreciated it. All knowledge is power, and one good idea somewhere may lead to another idea somewhere else.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Jake, if you are trying to accomplish this

IMG_1579.png

From this

IMG_1579.jpeg

A 3D or 4D will do this, you don't have to put a heavier tip on that the last section.

Creating a more level line at depth can be controlled in any number of ways.

IMG_1579 (1).jpeg

The possibilities are endless!
F I Type 3 or?
I S3 Type 3 or?
I S3 S6 Type 3 or?
S3 S6 S8 Type 6 or?

The current will hold everything level to a point.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jake, if you are trying to accomplish this

View attachment 82284

From this

View attachment 82285

A 3D or 4D will do this, you don't have to put a heavier tip on that the last section.

Creating a more level line at depth can be controlled in any number of ways.

View attachment 82286

The possibilities are endless!
F I Type 3 or?
I S3 Type 3 or?
I S3 S6 Type 3 or?
S3 S6 S8 Type 6 or?

The current will hold everything level to a point.
I like those a lot. The idea with this is that it would get the fly down faster, especially in heavier flows.

But, yeah, I might be reinventing the wheel a bit. Oh well, I don't have social media and most nights don't watch tv--gotta do something with my time.