Crappie….

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Look for spawning crappie in water less than about 6' deep and with brush or some cover nearby. Spawning is alleged to take place at around 60 degrees but they will often school up in shallows at lower temps. Once found the fishing can just be insane, often catching 2 at a time when using multiple jigs or flies. As much fun as they are on a fly rod, I prefer to use ultra light spinning gear with 2-4# test line casting tiny jigs.

Although easy to find in spring they can be difficult to locate in summer. I have seen schools of them just before dark marauding minnows near the bank with the minnows jumping to avoid the attack. And gathered from that evening was a good time to fish for them in summer. But whenever you catch them, they are exceptional table fare.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
In the fall, especially in October in Western Wa I've seen big schools of crappies actively feeding on hatches.
Some fun dry fly action on those nice October days. While fishing one spring, I got turned on to this by one of the homeowners who came down to his dock and chatted me up. I remember him say come back in October and he was correct.
SF

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Look for spawning crappie in water less than about 6' deep and with brush or some cover nearby. Spawning is alleged to take place at around 60 degrees but they will often school up in shallows at lower temps. Once found the fishing can just be insane, often catching 2 at a time when using multiple jigs or flies. As much fun as they are on a fly rod, I prefer to use ultra light spinning gear with 2-4# test line casting tiny jigs.

Although easy to find in spring they can be difficult to locate in summer. I have seen schools of them just before dark marauding minnows near the bank with the minnows jumping to avoid the attack. And gathered from that evening was a good time to fish for them in summer. But whenever you catch them, they are exceptional table fare.
Didn’t we have beer batter crappie at the Potholes that one year?

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
With a possible break in the weather tomorrow….I might try my limited knowledge of winter crappie fishing on a local lake. Not really sure what to expect…..couldn’t do any worse than I did on the beach today…..

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
OK……are you ready for my report? I got to the lake around 1:15 only to find it frozen!! I couldn’t even launch my pram. So plan B……off to another local lake that was good for sight casting midge emergers…..well…no ice and no fish!?? Still some big midges, lots of shucks but only saw two fish rise in 3.5 hours.
Then I smelled what I thought was some potent weed….only to realize it was me stinking of another skunk!! So all of the YouTube videos and information I’ve been looking at are all in southern states where they are still warm or other states where the ice is thick and they’re ice fishing…….so to sum it up….screw this! Come on spring!!

Divad

Whitefish
OK……are you ready for my report? I got to the lake around 1:15 only to find it frozen!! I couldn’t even launch my pram. So plan B……off to another local lake that was good for sight casting midge emergers…..well…no ice and no fish!?? Still some big midges, lots of shucks but only saw two fish rise in 3.5 hours.
Then I smelled what I thought was some potent weed….only to realize it was me stinking of another skunk!! So all of the YouTube videos and information I’ve been looking at are all in southern states where they are still warm or other states where the ice is thick and they’re ice fishing…….so to sum it up….screw this! Come on spring!!
The local pond is iced out here too. Started to dethaw yesterday probably clear tomorrow, perfect timing for the rain…

Did you have sonar with you?

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I have a cheap Hawkeye fish finder that’s not that accurate…..I checked some topo maps for depths. It didn’t matter since I couldn’t get on the “crappie” lake due to the ice. The second lake isn’t a panfish lake. Hmmmmm….what’s next??

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think I'm going to have to just be patient, doesn't quite look crappie fishing friendly yet. But once the ice goes .......20240126_114953.jpg

Smith

Steelhead
Crappies can be in surprising places. Caught some in Idaho from a lake known for brook trout. I was in school at the time and had learned to age fish from the ear bones. These were big fish but the age was still surprising to me. 6 to 8 years old.

RichS

Life of the Party
My fairly extensive experience ice fishing for crappies in MN in “bowl shaped” lakes is that they spend the winter suspended over the deep parts of the lake. This would typically be 15-40 feet. They move around in that section of the lake and the depth they hold changes for no readily apparent reason. Electronics are a huge help in finding these fish. They tend to be more active during the shoulders of the day- like most fish.
I see no reason to not think winter time fish in non-frozen lakes would act the same.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Hi RichS, probably true but I think back there they have better populations of crappies than we do around here…..the majority of my local lakes are just stocked with hatchery rainbows.…not complaining though. I C&R trout, but if the spiny rays are big enough I’ll invite them to dinner!