Crappie….

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
Nice work Steve! I've not had the pleasure of eating any freshwater bass. I've had plenty of walleye, yellow perch, and crappie. Please provide your comparative critique if you would. Enjoy!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Hey Greggor, I’ve made fish n chips from bass from around here several times……very tasty! I C&R trout but invite spiny rays over to our house for dinner! The only real taste differences between all the white flakey fillets might be the time of year caught…..but tartar sauce and some cold ones….can’t be beat! Walleyes are still on my bucket list.

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
Hey Greggor, I’ve made fish n chips from bass from around here several times……very tasty! I C&R trout but invite spiny rays over to our house for dinner! The only real taste differences between all the white flakey fillets might be the time of year caught…..but tartar sauce and some cold ones….can’t be beat! Walleyes are still on my bucket list.
I hear you! A few epic spring trips to a larger sized Pot Holes lake, made for some great filets to fry up. And... burying the remaining fish parts in the garden would lead to a bumper tomato crop late summer! 🤣

I found a "Professor" worked nearly as well as the little yellow pan fish jigs. Lots of fun with a 3wt.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I don’t blame you. Those pellet head stockers are gross. The much tastier fish you are bringing home reproduce on their own and grow kinda slowly in the PNW. Continued dinners may yield diminishing returns at the honey hole! But nice work cracking the code.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For a change of pace, try some crunched up Tim’s jalapeño potato chips breading for your fish fries.
SF

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Similar idea, but in the past I've mixed some crushed Wasabi Peas into the batter for a little xtra kick.

Damn, now I'm getting hungry! Warm weather and Crappie fishing can't come soon enough. :cool:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Why wait for warm weather doublespey….something to do now in not so warm weather! Not that I’m putting up huge numbers but I only keep enough to eat fresh. How’s that for an excuse for not catching a shitload??

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Steve, how's the crappie fishing? The medium big and larger are pre spawn at 48deg. over this way, but still in type 6 water.
20240330_prespawn.jpg
Black buggers have been the best for me.
20240330_buggerfish.jpg
Found some smaller ones in shallow under the bobber with a leech.
20240330_indi_olvleech.jpg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Way to go Tom! I switched back to trout…..mainly because the last time I got skunked on crappies! I might have to go shallower looking for them. I haven’t given up yet…..