Crane Prairie advice needed

EBT

Smolt
I haven't had the opportunity to fish Crane Prairie, and it's possible I'll get that opportunity soon. It is of course a big lake, and I fish out of a pontoon boat. Which of the boat launches would be my best choice? I'd love to hear rationale as well. THANKS!

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I would try Quinn River channel. Nice fish right off where you launch. Not a secret. I had a great evening there bass fishing topwater a few years ago in the bay by the resort. Warm and shallow, not good trout water, but lots of medium sized bass that evening.

MELinOre

Steelhead
Either Quinn River, Rock Creek, or the launch adjacent to Crane Prairie Campground

Quinn River = Quinn River Channel can hold some big trout.
Rock Creek = Lots of shoal water access.
CP Campground = Deschutes Channel access and the flats northwest of the launch.

Watch out for afternoon winds!

Early reports I have read are that the catching has been slow.

EBT

Smolt
thanks to Bakerite and Mel. And Mel, I'm looking for a couple weeks from now, before Memorial Day, so hopefully it'll pick up a bit.

steelheardr99

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Crane has been fishing slow but the weather has not been very cooperative and we have more rain, snow and cold on the way this week, It should warm up by memorial day hopefully lol. All the boat ramps are open last i heard but slow fishing. You have some good info above well worth following good luck.

EBT

Smolt
Crane has been fishing slow but the weather has not been very cooperative and we have more rain, snow and cold on the way this week, It should warm up by memorial day hopefully lol. All the boat ramps are open last i heard but slow fishing. You have some good info above well worth following good luck.
Thanks, Steelheardr. I'm hoping to get over there - a bit dependent on a couple family issues.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Quinn River the go to for kickboats and pontoons..you'll see fish while still putting in. As you go down channel away from the launch, stay on the deadwood stump side, good fish holding from there to the main channel. As you look at the main channel that leads out to the lake, the edges of the stumps on the left extending out to the lake usually holding, as well as the small channels extending into the deadwood forest. Trolled leeches, indicator balanced leeches and chroms all good early in the year. The Fly Fishers Place in Sisters posts up a weekly fishing report that is usually spot on for CP.

Fished it this time last year with a friend from Bend. We hoofed it around the eastern side of the reservoir, fishing the various coves. Only fished a couple hours in the morning, caught at least a dozen trout (and a bass) between the two of us on black balanced leeches. I had to head back into town but he ended up meeting up with some friends and fished the rest of the day from a boat, same tactic though, pulling into the coves. Said they had a great day. Hope you make it out there!