Cracked male ferrule: can it be saved?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Last time out on the beach my 2 piece rod came loose at the ferrule and I didn't realize it. I cast and heard a little crack then the upper piece flew off mid cast. Upon inspection I found the male ferrule to be cracked about 2 inches down the section. For reference, this is a rod I built on a rain shadow IM6 9' 6 weight blank.
IMG20230404192656.jpgIMG20230404192641.jpgIMG20230404192631.jpgIMG20230404192618.jpg
Can it be saved? Is there anything I can do to stabilize it and continue to use it? I'm not really in a place to buy a new beach stick...

Attachments

• IMG20230404192557.jpg
    IMG20230404192557.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 5

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
'Not sure, but there is a good chance this can be sleeved from the inside and be just fine. I've had Bill Zbitnoff at Snokist Custom Rods do repairs and new builds for me, and his work is excellent. He won't BS you on whether he thinks repair is a good option or not. Great guy, and very skilled.

RCF

Life of the Party
Have you looked on the market for a replacement blank/rod? Looks like they may be less expensive than a repair...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
'Not sure, but there is a good chance this can be sleeved from the inside and be just fine. I've had Bill Zbitnoff at Snokist Custom Rods do repairs and new builds for me, and his work is excellent. He won't BS you on whether he thinks repair is a good option or not. Great guy, and very skilled.

Second this. I used Bill’s services for a repair after Phil recommended him on the other board.
SF

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Second this. I used Bill’s services for a repair after Phil recommended him on the other board.
SF
Do you have an idea on approximate cost? I only have like $75 into this rod so I'm not too attached and I'd weigh that against replacement

Reactions: RCF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Do you have an idea on approximate cost? I only have like $75 into this rod so I'm not too attached and I'd weigh that against replacement

Gary,
My repair was different. I had a guide ripped off the black. He only charged me $10 for the repair and the turnaround was vey quick.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Not sure how much of a DIY-er you are, but my initial thought was to just stabilize / fill it with a high quality epoxy resin or marine adhesive. Then someone above mentioned an internal sleeve, which is even better. If you have any old sections of fishing rods to sacrifice, you could maybe cut and remove a piece than nests snugly into the broken section (but with enough of a gap for epoxy). I would also try to get epoxy inside the crack in the wall so that interface gets stabilized too.

andy

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
i would find a piece of blank as thick walled as you can find but in a matching diameter and taper then after a thorough cleaning with acetone epoxy it inside your rod, then do your best to epoxy down the external damage. the biggest challenge will be keeping it round and not expanding it's diameter..

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
cracked an old Loomis self wrapped 6 wt rod in a similar fashion. Rummaged through the workshop and found a piece of PTFE tubing that after some sanding to fit was tapped into the ferrule. As to that flared piece, superglue...?
Like you said, $70 rod so a simple hack should suffice.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Check with Bill. He has a stash of graphite rod parts so should have something on hand that will be a good fit. His charges are reasonable (whatever that tran$lates to in this case.)

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
That's a big failure at a critical spot. Once they split they'll continue to run. You must cut it off. If you want you can get an exterior sleeve, from an old trashed rod, and turn it into a one piece rod. I, personally would punt..

Otter

Steelhead
Prepare a dowel about 3” long to fit snugly inside.
Flush everything with 99% isopropanol, then let evaporate. I would not use a solvent as strong as acetone on a rod made of plastic resin.
Glue the dowel inside and the splinter on the outside with regular (not 5 min.) epoxy. Squeeze it tight all around, wiping off excess glue. Then wrap everything with clear tape, trying to keep the tip round. Remove tape after 24 hours. If necessary for a good fit, use fine sandpaper (320 or so), a bit at a time.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Prepare a dowel about 3” long to fit snugly inside.
Flush everything with 99% isopropanol, then let evaporate. I would not use a solvent as strong as acetone on a rod made of plastic resin.
Glue the dowel inside and the splinter on the outside with regular (not 5 min.) epoxy. Squeeze it tight all around, wiping off excess glue. Then wrap everything with clear tape, trying to keep the tip round. Remove tape after 24 hours. If necessary for a good fit, use fine sandpaper (320 or so), a bit at a time.
Practical question: do I need to remove the butt cap and slide in from that end to overcome the taper?

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am with wetswinger.
Life is short.
We never get to fish enough.
Not risking a fishing trip with a rod I KNOW is broken.
Find an inexpensive used rod and buy it. Shoot there's a used Cortland on here for $40.

Chucker

Steelhead
Practical question: do I need to remove the butt cap and slide in from that end to overcome the taper?

Yes. You will need to use a piece of rod blank that is significantly longer than the damaged area, otherwise it will just break again. Don’t use a wooden dowel as suggested above, not strong enough and prone to expansion when wet (don’t ask how I know that…). If what you have for reinforcement is a thin walled blank (like a fly rod blank) then you might need to double up the splint by sticking another piece inside it.

I would try to get a rolled up piece of sandpaper into the broken area to roughen the surface then clean with solvent and a q-tip or something like that before gluing up.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'll get laughed at here, but I had a 10 wt with a fragile tip. The first time I repaired it, I put in a section of old rod that lasted for one fish. The next time I repaired it, I got a drill bit that would fit inside. ground down the sharp corners, and glued it in. Stronger than a dowel or old rod section. Wrapped the outside of the break with body tubing and epoxy to get longitudinal reinforcement that the radial wraps don't provide. Haven't broken it again.

RCF

Life of the Party
It is probably worth a try to repair the rod. 2nd worst thing that can happen is it will break again.

The worst thing is the stress of wondering of when it will break again. Hopefully it will not be on a fish that could of been a lifetime memory.