Cork length on small stream rods?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm getting ready to build up my first rod. I've been wanting to get my friend a gift for taking care of me for a week straight in the hospital a few years ago and this is what I've landed on. He's moving out to Maine next year so I want to build him a little brookie rod so I'm going with a 7' 3wt. If the first pancake doesn't turn out great, I'll keep it and build another ;).

My question is for all of you out there that have small rods, what's your preferred handle length? I'm going to go with a preformed grip so it will either be 5.5", 6" or 6.5". I need to go downstairs and check, but I think my 7' 3wt Ijuin Yomogi has a 6.5" grip.

thanks!
tim

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Might want to look at the size of his hands and select accordingly...
Fair! Hard when you're trying to surprise someone, also when you have to order from online.

Last edited:

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I pretty much stick with 6 1/2" grips and a 3 1/2' reel seat for a total of 10". I make 4 and 5 wt rods in the 7'-8'4" range. I do like the looks of 1/4" thick rings to make my own grips if you decide to go that way.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I pretty much stick with 6 1/2" grips and a 3 1/2' reel seat for a total of 10". I make 4 and 5 wt rods in the 7'-8'4" range. I do like the looks of 1/4" thick rings to make my own grips if you decide to go that way.
thanks Mike!

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
The old Granger western grip on their bamboo rods was 6 ¾”. A 6’ Phillipson glass rod had a 5” grip while a 7 ½ footer had a 6” grip. A Larry Kenny 8’3” 5wt. glass rod has a 5 7/8” grip while a Scott G 906 and 907 have a 7 ½” grip.
Yeah, I know… TMI…
I’ve used the 5 7/8” grip length on the last glass rods I’ve built and 5 ½” on 3 wt. rods. This fits my hands, and I don’t need or want any more length than that.
I built a 6’6”’ 3wt Yomogi with a 5 ½” grip. The grip is not tapered and has an end diameter (front) of 0.890”. The rod is an absolute gas!
Agree on the ¼” rings.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
What shape grip do you all prefer for your shorter rods.? Seems like straight or cigar shapes, instead of half wells or fenwick are popular..

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I agree that hand size matters, but on shorter lightweight rods I scale things down. If you have a smooth transition between the grip and reelseat, it will lengthen the grip…..