Cooling Down

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Tiring of 90+ temps, and with the promise of a break in the weather I drove over the pass on Friday to visit a small lake that had a healthy Cutthroat population last year. I made an early start and was surprised to pass two groups of GeoCachers that had gotten the jump on me. The way ascends an old clearcut with ripening berries, drops past a popular lake and continues down steep terrain to the lower lake.

DSC04782 copy.jpg

It's always nice to see risers as you arrive and confirm that there are still a few fish, so I rigged up hoping for success. Paddling about I saw a few mayfly spinners on the surface and an occasional rise but didn't spot any cruisers. I wasn't surprised when it started to sprinkle, lightly at first, but soon steadily enough to make it worth a trip to shore for a raincoat.

DSC04783 copy.jpg

Eventually I decided that though there were a few holdovers, finding a willing fish just might not be in the cards. I packed up before getting too frustrated and figured I'd have a look at the upper lake which, though it gets fished heavily, holds some nice Rainbows. Typically there are dayhikers swimmers, dogs, and noisy kids all around, but the cool cloudy weather seems to have kept people home. I spotted three fish working the lee shore and was pleased to land two and LDR the third- and biggest of course.

DSC04787 (1) copy.jpg

Soon the wind really kicked up and I decided to call it a day. It was now even chilly enough to break out the puffy while packing for the hike out. By this time of year I'm always yearning for the cooler days ahead, and the rain becomes a welcome sight. Looking south, the Mountain was wearing a cloud cap, but clearing skies promise more warm sunny days ahead.

DSC04789 copy.jpg

In a few months this creek will be running with Kokanee, the clouds will settle in for weeks on end, and we'll be wondering where the summer went.

DSC04790 (2) copy.jpg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Very cool.

That last photo....sigh. So nice.