Cool Dirt Bag Catch Today

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Been super busy lately but wanted to share this unique catch. Caught this tiger rockfish today while fishing offshore for lingcod. I looked up the state record and while we didn't weigh this one it couldn't have been far off.

I haven't put too many tigers to the boat out here. This was by far the largest I've come across. Such a cool fish.

Never know what you're gonna encounter out there

DSC02180-01.jpeg

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve caught a couple yellow eyes in Alaska years ago…they both live a very long time. Beautiful fish…

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
My buddy got one on my boat last year. Suuuuuper cool looking fish. I'll never keep another one though. Huge pain in the ass to fillet compared to the other rocks. Reminded me of trying to fillet a cabezon.

1654460267155.png

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
My buddy got one on my boat last year. Suuuuuper cool looking fish. I'll never keep another one though. Huge pain in the ass to fillet compared to the other rocks. Reminded me of trying to fillet a cabezon.

Haha My deckhand said almost the exact same thing after we hit the dock and I asked him how it was to cut.

This fish ate a live flounder in 450' of water while fishing for lingcod. I wasn't super excited to keep it but after bringing it up from that depth it was not in great shape and I didn't have high hopes for its survival even if descended.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do you guys release those bottom fish with the whole bladder issue
I’ve seen them released on tv by inserting a needle into the side but I’m wondering if that’s how it’s done around here

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
How do you guys release those bottom fish with the whole bladder issue
I’ve seen them released on tv by inserting a needle into the side but I’m wondering if that’s how it’s done around here

We use one of these on an electric downrigger.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I have no idea how effective they truly are. Ive been told by state workers that they have video of them working and they highly believe in them. What I do know is that letting a yelloweye float makes them 100% dead, so whatever the mortality rate would be when using a descender it is better than 100% dead so I am happy to use them.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but much less so when using a downrigger. Can also use them with a rod/reel but then you have to reel up the weight by hand. With a large yelloweye it can take 6 lbs or more of lead to sink it, so that is a chore. The downrigger makes it super fast and easy.

A reg change a handful of years ago requires every boat fishing bottomfish in WA to have a descending device rigged up and ready to use while fishing. Oddly enough the regs don't actually state that they must be used. I think its worth the effort either way.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have no idea how effective they truly are. Ive been told by state workers that they have video of them working and they highly believe in them. What I do know is that letting a yelloweye float makes them 100% dead, so whatever the mortality rate would be when using a descender it is better than 100% dead so I am happy to use them.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but much less so when using a downrigger. Can also use them with a rod/reel but then you have to reel up the weight by hand. With a large yelloweye it can take 6 lbs or more of lead to sink it, so that is a chore. The downrigger makes it super fast and easy.

A reg change a handful of years ago requires every boat fishing bottomfish in WA to have a descending device rigged up and ready to use while fishing. Oddly enough the regs don't actually state that they must be used. I think its worth the effort either way.
I actually got one of those underwater fish cams and one of the things I wanted to try it on this year was on my descending rod. I want to watch what happens as the fish gets down there.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
The thing that bulges out of their mouth is actually their stomach. The air bladder, which sits behind the stomach, can't regulate fast enough when they are brought up from depth quickly, so it ends up expanding and that expansion pushes their stomach out. Or something along those lines.

A few years ago I was talking to a state employee who said they have video and its pretty impressive. He said as the fish starts getting to depth you can see it start start to twitch and show signs of life. This keeps getting more prominent until it reaches depth and the descender releases. He said at that point a high percentage of them dart off quite lively. Who knows how well they fare after that, but still pretty cool.

Last edited: