Construction question

Kado

Steelhead
I’ve tied the rabbit so it rides up and placed a small piece of mallard flank to hide the suede underside and to ‘lift’ the rabbit strip. It seems to look good on the vise, but does anyone picture problems? Im going to tie one up using a little buck tail as the support for the rabbit next. It’s supposed to be a size 6 sculpin pattern : )
Thanks for input.
Mark

Attachments

• 8426D594-A6A6-4733-AC0B-9158B700D764.jpeg
    8426D594-A6A6-4733-AC0B-9158B700D764.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 53
  • B49E30A2-7031-4868-B0A5-D714EE2FA7CA.jpeg
    B49E30A2-7031-4868-B0A5-D714EE2FA7CA.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 51

Divad

Whitefish
Only problem will be the fish when they repeatedly choose this snack, nice fly!

The amount of rabbit you have will definitely offset that single mallard, now can it also hold the hook high too 👨‍🔬 ?

If they were lead or heavy brass eyes I’d say guarantee - throw it in a tall glass of water and watch it sink a few times.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I fish a million jigs with rabbit strip down and fur side up. The leather side of the rabbit doesn't need to be camo'd. Your rabbit strip is short enough it shouldn't give you issues how you tied it in. If it gets slightly longer it can but even this length I find it almost never fouls:IMG_20210316_100004_840.jpgThe tail has a nice pulsing action and especially looks good on the kill. Nice fly👍

Kado

Steelhead
Only problem will be the fish when they repeatedly choose this snack, nice fly!

The amount of rabbit you have will definitely offset that single mallard, now can it also hold the hook high too 👨‍🔬 ?

If they were lead or heavy brass eyes I’d say guarantee - throw it in a tall glass of water and watch it sink a few times.
I’ll also tie up a couple with a small bit of stiff buck tail and try them out in the morning from the beach as I have no river access at the moment. I might even add a little uv epoxy as a ‘skid plate’. I noticed a lot of tropical crab patterns do this.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’ll also tie up a couple with a small bit of stiff buck tail and try them out in the morning from the beach as I have no river access at the moment. I might even add a little uv epoxy as a ‘skid plate’. I noticed a lot of tropical crab patterns do this.
The more you tie with bucktail, the more you'll appreciate the subtle movement it has by itself in addition to the anti-fouling it's stiffness provides.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Regarding bunny tails, this is a good overall technique if fouling is a concern with longer tails.

You mentioned fishing the beach tomorrow. Might be worth checking the wind as gusts to 40+ mph are forecast for some areas.
SF

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
If you don't like the look of the hide, you can always take a sharpie to it and give it some spotting. I've done that from time to time. Don't think the fish care one way or another, but it looks good and it's fun to throw a little flare from time to time.

Kado

Steelhead
Regarding bunny tails, this is a good overall technique if fouling is a concern with longer tails.

You mentioned fishing the beach tomorrow. Might be worth checking the wind as gusts to 40+ mph are forecast for some areas.
SF

Had to bag the fishing....went to a beach where the wind wasn't right in my face. Realized that meant all these branches were falling onto the beach. It's still a great way to feel alive in the morning though.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Had to bag the fishing....went to a beach where the wind wasn't right in my face. Realized that meant all these branches were falling onto the beach. It's still a great way to feel alive in the morning though.

Good job making an effort out of it. Wind, rain and king high tides always make beach fishing interesting this time of year.
SF

brownheron

corvus ossifragus

SF

Thanks for that link. Going to build that step into my twitching jigs.