Condiments, Am I The Only One...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I know what you mean Pat, I'm back on the frozen tundra now-snow the past 2 nights....
Ive -
A nice rental in Spokane, mild weather at the Tundra, that Seeger-Effect! We rented an over-winter house in Redondo Beach and spent most of our visit wearing jackets when outside; it was cool to cold.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm not 9 years old, and I like ketchup. I like it on hamburgers, hot dogs, meatloaf, and french fries. For decades Heinz was the gold standard of ketchup. My FIL, who worked for S&W foods secretly used Heinz ketchup at home. Then, some while back, Heinz made a deal with the devil and substituted high fructose corn syrup for the sugar. So I dropped Heinz like the dirt that it became. Sampled quite a few and have settled on Annie's. It's organic and uses no HFCS. Heinz realized their grievous error and brought back New Heinz, with sugar and no HFCS. But they lost me as a ketchup customer.

Now, a word about mustard. Yes, I use cheap yellow mustard on my Costco hot dog because that's all they offer. I used that yellow junk much of my life cuz that's what my mom had at our house. I'll make my usual pitch. Then on a Grand Ronde float trip in 1985, we were roasting Asotin County chicken (chukar) on the fire, and one of my camp mates introduced me to Plochman's mustard. It's stone ground and has a bit of horse radish in it. We slathered those chickens in Plochman's, and it has been my go to ever since. The local grocery stores stopped carrying it over 10 years ago, so I order it by the case online. All other mustard fails by comparison, except one by Boar's Head that is almost exactly the same and carries the Boar's Head price mark up.

At first I thought it was sad that Costco dropped the Polish sausage from the food court menu. But then I realized that the all beef hot dogs don't adversely affect my stomach the way the Polish sausages did. Like that old age syndrom Mossback mentioned about onions. Raw onions don't agree with my stomach generally, so I really favor sauteed or caramelized onions - get the flavor without the negative acid affect.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm not 9 years old, and I like ketchup. I like it on hamburgers, hot dogs, meatloaf, and french fries. For decades Heinz was the gold standard of ketchup. My FIL, who worked for S&W foods secretly used Heinz ketchup at home. Then, some while back, Heinz made a deal with the devil and substituted high fructose corn syrup for the sugar. So I dropped Heinz like the dirt that it became. Sampled quite a few and have settled on Annie's. It's organic and uses no HFCS. Heinz realized their grievous error and brought back New Heinz, with sugar and no HFCS. But they lost me as a ketchup customer.

Now, a word about mustard. Yes, I use cheap yellow mustard on my Costco hot dog because that's all they offer. I used that yellow junk much of my life cuz that's what my mom had at our house. I'll make my usual pitch. Then on a Grand Ronde float trip in 1985, we were roasting Asotin County chicken (chukar) on the fire, and one of my camp mates introduced to to Plochman's mustard. It's stone ground and has a bit of horse radish in it. We slathered those chickens in Plochman's, and it has been my go to ever since. The local grocery stores stopped carrying it over 10 years ago, so I order it by the case online. All other mustard fails by comparison, except one by Boar's Head that is almost exactly the same and carries the Boar's Head price mark up.

At first I thought it was sad that Costco dropped the Polish sausage from the food court menu. But then I realized that the all beef hot dogs don't adversely affect my stomach the way the Polish sausages did. Like that old age syndrom Mossback mentioned about onions. Raw onions don't agree with my stomach generally, so I really favor sauteed or caramelized onions - get the flavor without the negative acid affect.
My, aren't we a bit curmudgeonly today! --it happens. In my case, shack nasties.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Just got home from work. A balmy 37⁰ and rain mixed with snow down on the water, but full on snow here at Chateau Mossback. The dogs are peeing and shitting inside today evidently, as outside holds about as much interest for them as it does me.
🤣
The question now is...
What kind of mustard will I have with my sausage and swiss sandwich...but the question probably should be...what kind of statin should I have after lunch ?
😁

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Went with Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard...
It goes on sale for less than 2 bucks a bottle, so gets a lot of use here.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
what kind of statin should I have after lunch ?
Yeah, guess I'm coming up on that addition to my daily ritual when next I see the doc. Most all my life I could eat anything I wanted and gained no or little weight. Once at a physical fitness test after the bench press, a nurse took my blood pressure and asked me if I was alive. Since I never went to the doctor, I had no idea what my blood pressure was. Then the last few years (sociable security years) I went and my BP was always 120 over 60 or close to it. Yesterday it was 134 over 76. WTF's up with that? The nurse said I was probably nervous cuz they were gonna' stick a needle in my back. Sheesh. Now for the last 2 years my LDL is above the guideline, so the doc says I should take a statin, whatever that is, if I don't wanna' die of a heart attack. Well I'm gonna' die from something, so I've been pondering which ways are more preferable.

P.S.: I hope you didn't ruin your sandwich with French's plain yellow mustard. That would be a damn shame.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Yeah, guess I'm coming up on that addition to my daily ritual when next I see the doc. Most all my life I could eat anything I wanted and gained no or little weight. Once at a physical fitness test after the bench press, a nurse took my blood pressure and asked me if I was alive. Since I never went to the doctor, I had no idea what my blood pressure was. Then the last few years (sociable security years) I went and my BP was always 120 over 60 or close to it. Yesterday it was 134 over 76. WTF's up with that? The nurse said I was probably nervous cuz they were gonna' stick a needle in my back. Sheesh. Now for the last 2 years my LDL is above the guideline, so the doc says I should take a statin, whatever that is, if I don't wanna' die of a heart attack. Well I'm gonna' die from something, so I've been pondering which ways are more preferable.

P.S.: I hope you didn't ruin your sandwich with French's plain yellow mustard. That would be a damn shame.
I did not care for the the side effects of the
atorvastatin I took a few years ago. The tendonopathy, joint pain etc. were pretty pronounced. I cleaned up my diet (which was not that bad) and soon as I got good blood work I quit taking them. Would not take again, unless it was seriously bad numbers.
Everyone reacts differently to the various statins, so I would probably try a different one if I needed one again.
MY view...they are way overprescribed and better to watch the diet and exercise, unless you are genetically predisposed to those issues and have strong family history, or just plain can't get the numbers down after some effort to do so.

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
It is inherently obvious that this politically charged and opinionated line of discourse will soon be relegated by the forum police to the locked thread category. I, for one, have never allowed any Costco food court items to be a part of my daily intake. Rather than expend limited funds on such a purchase I am saving my discretionary income so that I may hopefully purchase a pair of those spiffy new gold sneakers. The Costco free samples are, however, a horse of a different color and have been the building blocks of numerous midday meals. Edit: Except for that fake fried calamari in a bag. That stuff tastes like a cardboard ass.
Where do you buy your cardboard ass? And how do you prepare it?

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
If it's a hamburger, ketchup & mustard on the bottom, mayo on top. If it's the ham and cheese sandwich I just had for lunch, it was mustard on the bottom and mayo on top. If it's roast beef or pastrami, I sometimes substitute horseradish for the mustard. I had a Costco hot dog yesterday, and it was ketchup, mustard (that slovenly plain yellow kind), and relish wherever I could squish it in. I'm not persnickety like Mossback, but I do have my preferences.
Ketchup on a hot dog! What's wrong with you?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Where do you buy your cardboard ass? And how do you prepare it?
I knew someone would find that prospect appetizing though I thought it would be Salmo. You are truly a gourmet. PM sent.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Salmo, the official nomenclature for those premium blends like Plochman's is Goose Shit Mustard! My fly fishing buddy and frat brother of over 61 years was no fan of French's mustard. Recently lost to Parkinson's, John always loved GSM and we ate copious amounts of it on our numerous floats on the Deschutes. Whether we were in Alaska, the Deschutes or on Kelly Creek John was always armed with GSM for his Dagwood sandwiches!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Generally top for me and I like nearly all condiments.
if you want to see some funny stuff about condiments and sandwiches, check out the Hoagie Gurus group on FB.
I never knew mayo was voodoo versus vinegar and oil and there is an exact science on how to construct a proper hoagie. Veggies shouldn't be next to the bread, the bread needs a hinge, meat needs to be folded properly and don't call a sub a hoagie......Who knew making a sandwich could be so complicated? :ROFLMAO:
SF
Not from the Philly area are you??

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not from the Philly area are you??

Nope, Washington born and raised. Does that really matter?
If a sandwich tastes good, I’m going to stuff it in my pie hole anyway regardless of how it is constructed or what it is called. 😂
SF