Competition on the Flats with Master Anglers

P5100014.JPG
I’ve got about a week to go on my three-week visit to Florida and daily trips to deep grass flats at the mouth of Tampa Bay. By and large fly fishing has been decent for average sized Speckled Trout with usually 4-5 dozen fish coming to hand over the 4-5 hour morning wade/float. Jacks and Ladyfish occasionally break the trend but trout are the main target. Tides have been a bit goofy with mid-day tides high and no real negative tides to speak of. This limits the wading opportunities and forces a battle with wind and tide to keep the kayak lined up along the productive edges of deep grass and potholes/channels.
BZN90788.JPG

Water temps are ideal for trout in the mid-70s, there’s a lot of bait in the water and clarity is excellent. Trout are plentiful on the deep grass and very predictable. Most of the time I am chucking 3-4” unweighted streamers on a 7 weight with a 200 grain, 30’ SONAR Warm sink-tip. Long casts gets the fly down into the zone quickly and allows coverage of a lot of water. When the opportunity to wade the edges a bit at lower tides I’ll chuck Shrimp Gurglers on floating line. Those top water strikes are fun to see.
1683985753136.jpeg
Top producers have been Chartreuse Gartside Soft Hackles, Myakka Minnows and Shrimp Gurglers.
P5110022.JPG
The pattern is simple. Whenever deep eel grass meets a pothole, there is usually a 1’ to 2’ sharp drop in depth. Potholes are sandy bottomed clearings devoid of much cover surrounded by eel grass. When the sun is high or tide low, potholes are readily visible as light blue green areas surrounded by darker areas of grass. The edges are where trout typically lurk to ambush bait moving through the area. Depending on wind and tide, flies can be presented from the grass into the pothole and retrieved, from the pothole into the grass or parallel to the edge of the pothole and grass. The target is always to get the fly to move at depth over junction of the grass and pothole. A thunk on the end of the line lets you know you’ve connected with a Speck. Low tides concentrate fish closer to the open water of the pothole while higher tides allow trout to move further into the deep grass.
P5100018.JPG

Although anglers in general have been few and far between on the flats, I’ve been fishing for the last two weeks, a group of Master Anglers have shadowed me every day and taken their toll of fish. Unfortunately, Cormorants are pretty intelligence anglers. They will follow the kayak and swim under the boat to snag unsuspecting baits as it’s scared up out of the grass, many times banging themselves on the kayak as they tackle their prey. I’ve had up to eight birds surrounding the yak at one time. Whenever I connect with a trout, it can be a battle to land it unconnected to a Cormorant. They do real damage however when trying to release trout. I’d estimate that 1 out of five trout released get captured and swallowed by a cormorant before it reaches the safety of the deep grass. Cormorants do not practice catch and release or adhere to any slot limits.

Will get four more days on the water next week after avoiding crowds over the weekend. Maybe the cormorants will take some time off.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Mike - The "master anglers" title got my attention - I wasn't expecting to read about trout stealing cormorants. Their trout stealing tactics are similar to what we see in BC with loons who shadow our prams and key into the splashing a trout makes when jumping or coming to the net. Thanks for the trip report.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tutorial on a subject that many (including me) don't know much about. I really want to fish for speckled trout and redfish in the salt, and have ever since a trip report by a woman who fly fished for them in Beaufort, NC. It sounds like a blast.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like what loons can do on some lakes, cheeky bastards. That sounds like fun. What size do the trout run?
Trout are rebounding from several bad Red Tide years. Most fish are yearlings that run between 12-14.75”. They grow extremely fast. The slot is 15” and most fish over that are two year fish. Maybe 1 out of 10 exceeds 15”. The bigger trout around the 20”+ level are solitary and a tough target with the kayak as most are spotted by anglers standing high on poling platforms. I manage to scare a few solitary biggies every trip.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen white pelicans in a high desert reservoir get in a line of a dozen or so and slowly swim closer together into a U-shape into the shallows near shore or a shoal where one or more will duck their head and emerge with a trout.

Greg Price

Steelhead
Nice report. I never really thought about Florida flats fly fishing.

Sounds like you and your master anglers ard dialed! Too bad they cannot figure out a way to make your success easier!

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a great trip. I think someone needs a slingshot…
I occasionally whack one with a paddle but it doesn’t seem to phase them much.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Speckled trout fried coated with parmesan and Italian bread crumbs is hard to beat. Flip once and cover with baby swiss on top. That used to be at least a weekly event. Squeeze of lemon, YUM>
I remember asking my guide down in Delacroix LA 20 years ago how they cooked speckled trout…he replied “you can cook it any way you want as long as you fry it”…

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
That's nice you got into the specs. I tried fishing from shore/wading there once, on vacation, but no luck. Kayak is the way to go at that park.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's nice you got into the specs. I tried fishing from shore/wading there once, on vacation, but no luck. Kayak is the way to go at that park.
@Kfish, if you ever go back, let me know and I can clue you in to some of the more productive areas to wade during low tides. Seasonally things change with Spring and Fall concentrating more fish shallow and Winter and Summer concentrating more fish deep. Water temps play a huge role in where you find the most fish.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Survived the last day on the water this morning. Dead calm and a rising tide. Unfortunately large Tarpon have settled in the bay I fish regularly and I am sure they impact the fishing. I try and avoid them as they are half as long as the kayak and am not interested in tangling with one. However, I did connect with one who must have been resting at the bottom of a pothole. Into the backing in seconds, jerked the kayak 90 degrees sideways and damn near pulled me over. Luckily when he jumped he broke the loop knot of the #15 flouro tippet, otherwise I might be on the way to Key West. Every day’s fishing has been stellar otherwise with the added joy of several Bluefish this morning and a 22” trout.

For you barbless fans, a lot of my flies, especially the Soft hackle streamers are tied on Firehole Predator hooks. They preformed well and I didn’t notice any more missed hookup than usual. Washed off the used ones I’ve salvaged during the trip and we’ll see how they survived the salt. Highly recommend hunting that OTHER trout if you make it down to FL.