Competition breeds excellence

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yeah, my limit is like... 10mi. I never have any desire to do more than that :D - unless you count doing Hood to Coast where I do three 7mi runs in a 24hr period. That's about as close as I get to any long distances for anything.
About 50 miles into the bike I always wonder what the hell I'm doing this for. It all started when I said I thought I'd be able to do an Ironman and an unnamed relative laughed hard enough to make me want them to prove I could.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
About 50 miles into the bike I always wonder what the hell I'm doing this for. It all started when I said I thought I'd be able to do an Ironman and an unnamed relative laughed hard enough to make me want them to prove I could.
Even as someone who loves physical challenges, there's no relative or friend who could shame me in to anything over a half marathon. Just ain't happenin.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
So each morning if i made a good Wordle (like three guesses, or it was a difficult word), I would ask my husband to check her results so I could compare mine. The first time i missed guessing it correctly I loved finding out that she too missed it. I had this need to beat her and her so called 150 IQ!
For every IQ 150 person I have ever met (alternatively member of MENSA), there are thousands of people who have lower IQs and are way more successful in everything else that matters. IQ of 150 doesn't guarantee curious, kind, capable, efficient, friendly or beautiful. We do legit IQ tests quite commonly, the IQ of 150 is extraordinarily uncommon, and in decades of reviewing adult Neuropsych scores from reputable Neuropsychologists, it virtually never happens. My wife, who teaches grade school in a private school that has an entry requirement for IQ testing (which is ludicrous btw), they see it commonly. In fact, they basically know which Psychologists consistently have scores that seem, well, inflated. Don't get me wrong, those kids are ridiculously smart, and sponge like too, but a substantial proportion of them are kinda dumb re empathy or recognizing the emotions of others. Some of them also weaponize their smarts and are kinda mean if not manipulative!

So back to Wordle though, I also do it just about every day. Spelling Bee also (which I think is more fun). Sometimes I shake up Wordle with a strategy of picking the weirdest most unlikely words and aim for as many complete lines of gray before trying to solve in six. So picture no green till line 3 or so, with as many eliminated letters as possible, that to me is a big win... I would lay money on Jojo always beating me, and to be frank, I am just happy that I can solve it most of the time!

Xoxo

For every IQ 150 person I have ever met (alternatively member of MENSA), there are thousands of people who have lower IQs and are way more successful in everything else that matters. IQ of 150 doesn't guarantee curious, kind, capable, efficient, friendly or beautiful. We do legit IQ tests quite commonly, the IQ of 150 is extraordinarily uncommon, and in decades of reviewing adult Neuropsych scores from reputable Neuropsychologists, it virtually never happens. My wife, who teaches grade school in a private school that has an entry requirement for IQ testing (which is ludicrous btw), they see it commonly. In fact, they basically know which Psychologists consistently have scores that seem, well, inflated. Don't get me wrong, those kids are ridiculously smart, and sponge like too, but a substantial proportion of them are kinda dumb re empathy or recognizing the emotions of others. Some of them also weaponize their smarts and are kinda mean if not manipulative!

So back to Wordle though, I also do it just about every day. Spelling Bee also (which I think is more fun). Sometimes I shake up Wordle with a strategy of picking the weirdest most unlikely words and aim for as many complete lines of gray before trying to solve in six. So picture no green till line 3 or so, with as many eliminated letters as possible, that to me is a big win... I would lay money on Jojo always beating me, and to be frank, I am just happy that I can solve it most of the time!
I can totally believe this re: IQs. I am not impressed with IQs, because like this ‘smart’ friend, sometimes they come across as being arrogant and unapproachable and not very warm and lacking humor. I never find it fun to talk to a know-it-all. (I also wondered how she knew she even had 150 IQ when i asked her. I have never had anyone test my IQ in school).

I’ve known some folks in the education world who i think of as being pretty smart (like this friend). And most of them of them seem to have a deficit somewhere else. When i was married before over 30 years ago i was stepmom to a little boy who seemed to be off the charts with math. He was put in ‘gifted’ classes. (God, how i hate that term, it’s called something different now, but i forget what.)

One time after watching the end of the movie he saw how Roman numerals were used to mark the date and he asked me what they were. He wanted me to teach him about Roman numerals, which i did. He grasped everything so easily. At the time was not even in kindergarten yet.

But he was, for lack of a better word, a weird kid. I knew him until he got to be 8 years old. In all that time he didn’t make friends easily, had no empathy or care for others, he didn’t like to be hugged, he lacked remorse and concern. He seemed like a much older person. I’ve heard from my ex a few years back that he moved out of state is some kind of engineer and makes a lot of money now.

I’m so glad I’m not a super smart person. However, i do like that i kick ass in Wordle. That ‘smart’ friend of mine hasn’t beaten me often, at best we usually match. Some days are easy and i get it in less than a minute. But sometimes because i do not want to miss it i take more time. I’ve only missed not guessing it 3 times.

Yesterday Quordle took me 4 guesses, which is my usual. Today it took me 5. I have a 99% success rating out of 289 games played. While i don’t have the best vocabulary and still mess up in grammar (hahaha…. ‘less’ vs. ‘fewer’) and i also suck really bad at the New York Times crossword, I’ve been a lover of words and i read a lot and i think this helps. Also it just isn’t that hard if you start with a good word.

But that’s interesting @Wadin' Boot how you strategize and aim for gray squares ! Some folks think you need to put as many vowels as possible, like using ‘adieu’, ’noise’ or ‘quiet’ but when I am working with less consonants it makes it more difficult. BTW Re: Spelling Bee. Do you have to pay to play that? I just tried it and was on a roll and it bumped me out saying “You’re Good at This” but it looks like i have to pay to play. It does look fun.

I also play Nerdle and Quordle every day. Trying to keep my brain active!

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Even as someone who loves physical challenges, there's no relative or friend who could shame me in to anything over a half marathon. Just ain't happenin.
I get this. Ironman Canada '99 was a long, miserable day for me. After that I stayed at Olympic distance, which was about all I could mentally focus for and really enjoy.

Wadin' Boot

Forum Supporter
BTW Re: Spelling Bee. Do you have to pay to play that? I just tried it and was on a roll and it bumped me out saying “You’re Good at This” but it looks like i have to pay to play. It does look fun.
I think if you want to keep going you have to pay (meaning for the really rare words) otherwise you can keep doing what you did. I stop whenever I get the screen you got. There's a few times that screen didn't pop up and it really bothered me...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I get this. Ironman Canada '99 was a long, miserable day for me. After that I stayed at Olympic distance, which was about all I could mentally focus for and really enjoy.
Yeah, there's the physical and mental enjoyment... and also just plain crossing the line in to being not actually good for you. Like I said a few pages back: I want to be able to do all this and more when I'm 30yrs older. So whatever I can do to not wreck my body in the meantime while still challenging myself physically is a balance to maintain.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Yeah, there's the physical and mental enjoyment... and also just plain crossing the line in to being not actually good for you. Like I said a few pages back: I want to be able to do all this and more when I'm 30yrs older. So whatever I can do to not wreck my body in the meantime while still challenging myself physically is a balance to maintain.
I think you have a good mindset about exercise. Part of my back issue is the compression from years of high milage running. I have issues with moderation.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I think you have a good mindset about exercise. Part of my back issue is the compression from years of high milage running. I have issues with moderation.
I think my love of physical challenge and real lack of competitive drive is giving me more longevity in what I like to do. I don't have that drive to push myself past a healthy limit, but I know how to push it just hard enough.

Replicant

Steelhead
Wordle 501 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Hahaha… so today i got Wordle in three, which is good for me. Most of my guesses take me four times, (though i do have ten times in my stats where i guessed it in two tries.) And my husband tells me the 150 IQ friend I’m stalking took FOUR tries to get it. Yesterday was not an easy word and i matched her. But i really love when i beat her. Hahaha.. i wonder if this means i have a 150 IQ too!
So, if I'm interpreting your rationale correctly, does this mean I'm a genius? Or should I just stick with what my wife keeps calling me? :unsure:

Wordle - The New York Times.jpeg

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I’ve never been competitive, closer to lazy. In my mid thirties after a divorce I sign up at Vince’s gym and started lifting. Mind you I’m not a big guy, at all. Well, there is the belly… Anyway I got into it and would hit it every other day after work. Well that came and went after a few years but I did see results. Now at 70 I’m back at it for the past two months. I’m at Planet Fitness every other day. Not on free weights but they have a great number of good machines. So my competition is with my self again, couple more reps, little more weight. I’m not killing myself but a couple times I’ve pushed to failure. It’s amazing what these two months have done, but yeah, the belly is still there…;)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I’ve never been competitive, closer to lazy. In my mid thirties after a divorce I sign up at Vince’s gym and started lifting. Mind you I’m not a big guy, at all. Well, there is the belly… Anyway I got into it and would hit it every other day after work. Well that came and went after a few years but I did see results. Now at 70 I’m back at it for the past two months. I’m at Planet Fitness every other day. Not on free weights but they have a great number of good machines. So my competition is with my self again, couple more reps, little more weight. I’m not killing myself but a couple times I’ve pushed to failure. It’s amazing what these two months have done, but yeah, the belly is still there…;)
If you can find free weights, I'd really suggest going that route. Most machines isolate each muscle too much to build real strength/stability. They're great for bodybuilding, but not so much for fitness. I am one man's opinion, though. That said, anything like that is better than not at all, so still a net positive!

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
If you can find free weights, I'd really suggest going that route. Most machines isolate each muscle too much to build real strength/stability. They're great for bodybuilding, but not so much for fitness. I am one man's opinion, though. That said, anything like that is better than not at all, so still a net positive!
Evan, I’m aware of that. I have to really focus on using both left and right equally. The problem is the free weights area at PF is really busy. I am using some free weights for finer muscle control. Fitness is still putting the miles in with our dog…;)

Wadin' Boot

Forum Supporter
Knuckleball philosophy is a good one...Find a niche that is built for fun and longevity of body.....
Never understood why more power pitchers in the twilight of their career didn't try the route of RA Dickey, Tim Wakefield, Phil Niekro... learn the Knuckleball, do it well, pitch into your 40's without wrecking your shoulder, cash that MLB check a lot longer

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Evan, I’m aware of that. I have to really focus on using both left and right equally. The problem is the free weights area at PF is really busy. I am using some free weights for finer muscle control. Fitness is still putting the miles in with our dog…;)
Dumbbells over barbells…great for stability and to even up the lesser used/weaker/smaller muscle groups.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Knuckleball philosophy is a good one...Find a niche that is built for fun and longevity of body.....
Never understood why more power pitchers in the twilight of their career didn't try the route of RA Dickey, Tim Wakefield, Phil Niekro... learn the Knuckleball, do it well, pitch into your 40's without wrecking your shoulder, cash that MLB check a lot longer
I think Jamie Moyer did try a knuckleball comeback? But not a power pitcher for sure.

Last edited: